Skip to main content

Here's the Deal

"Here's the Deal" is an idiom that means "this is the situation" or "this is how it stands" or "let me explain how things are". It allows us to state our opinion with a flashy line leading into it. For some reason I enjoy saying, "here's the deal", and evidently writing about it.

Well, it's no secret how much I have hated the time change twice a year, and I have written about it, probably twice a year. You can imagine how exited I was when I heard that Manitoba had decided not to change the time anymore. I was shocked and confused that they would choose the time we are on!!! Never has Manitoba used Central Standard time for winter months. Here's the deal, who in their right mind would pick to stay on this time, forever and ever amen. In the summer we don't need daylight until 11 pm. Who knows how the winter is going to play out, it has never happened before. Right now, it is dark at 7:30 and stays that way until 7:30. By Dec 21 it will be a mystery when we will see the sun. I was told there was a vote on Facebook. Really, the decision makers are putting their questionnaire on Facebook. The biggest issue for me is, we are not the same time as Saskatchewan. Never Ever Ever AGAIN!!!! In some ways this may help my Mom, she won't have to figure it out, it will always be the same. I guess I was just a bit blindsided, I wanted one more time change and I didn't get it. 

What about the horrendous amount of rain. This summer, I have emptied my rain gauge 3 times with 6" in it. It is not an accumulation for days, nope just a downpour. The river is up and clearly everyone has received a large amount of rain. Here's the deal, the canola is black, the wheat is now feed quality. When I went to Saskatchewan, I saw one field that had 5 John Deere combines sitting at the edge of a field ready to go, just waiting for the rain to stop. My google search said one John Deere combine costs between $350,000-$650,000 or more. Not only are they combining crops that are of poor quality, but the investment in equipment is staggering. I realize many farmers have what it takes to dry grain, but I think combining in the rain remains impossible. 

I have become a master procrastinator when it comes to cleaning. I was under the illusion that if I made a list and itemize each cleaning task, that I would feel the desire to complete the list. I wrote dust, vacuum and wash floors. I kept baking, a task I enjoy, so I wouldn't have to deal with the list. I had made bread and tarts when I decided there was only so much freezer space, and I took on the list. I wasn't invested in doing a good job, I only wanted to cross the items off and convince myself that was good enough. Which did happen. The saga continues, I just looked out my windows, and a fleeting thought went by. It went something like this, "you should wash those windows before it gets cold". I have 4 windows, yep, 4, it takes very little time including getting the water and clean up. To date it is still a fleeting thought. Here's the deal, I need to adjust my thinking. I would rather clean a toilet instead of dust. It is not about having the time to clean, I have the time, I am simply bored to tears with the task of cleaning.  

Finally, the lights are working on Richmond and 49th street. This intersection had been under controversy for years. There has been several fatal accidents that have occurred there. After one bad accident, the decision was made to install activated lights, which they did 2 years ago. But they never activated them. I'm not sure if they assumed by installing the lights it would throw everyone off the scent and make us feel they were doing something. They were wrong, sadly, another fatal accident occurred. The lights remained with bags over them, signs were put up to lower the speed limit from 90 km to 70 km when going through the intersection, followed by a four-way stop. The issue is that Mapel Leaf Foods is on the far end Richmond. They employee 3800 people. When shift change occurs, the traffic can be stopped on 49th for up to 45 minutes. It was a big deal when the announcement came that the lights on Richmond were activated. The intersection now has great turning lanes with fancy green turning lights, and everything feels safe. Here's the deal, I struggle to make sense of why it took so long to activate the lights. In fact, installing them was years in the making. We have all witnessed impatience and poor judgement at this intersection. The cost of life was simply too high because of it.  

On June 15, 2023, seventeen seniors lost their lives at the intersection of #1 and #5 highway. For some reason, the driver did not see the oncoming semi-truck and drove out in front of it. The seniors on the handivan were excited to spend the day at the Casino just past Carberry. The accident was determined as driver error. Many of the other passengers were seriously injured. Up until now driving through that intersection, you would never know a huge tragedy had occurred. Recently, I noticed when traveling from Carberry just before #1 highway, there is a small, humble recognition of 17 crosses erected in the ditch. Here's the deal, unlike when the Humbolt Broncos accident occurred, this accident remained very quiet. Very little was ever said about the condition of the survivors. The focus seemed to be how unsafe the intersection is. No one knows what happened that day, the intersection is wide open. It appears the semi was in the driver's blind spot. Every intersection can be unsafe. To date, three years later, no changes have been made and small white crosses in a secluded spot indicate the huge loss of life.

Pizza Hut is now being converted into a Vape Superstore & Cannabis. Many childhood dreams are now gone! Hakim Optical is now painted bright pink and is a Flamingo Cannabis store. Here's the deal, how many cannabis stores, which includes a Vape superstore, does one City need.  

There are 60,000 people in Manitoba that are using food banks, 40% of those are children. Manitoba is a province of a population of one and half million. Here's the deal, food is expense for everyone. Sadly, as people try to feed themselves and their family, donations are going to be down. This is not only a problem in Manitoba, but a serious situation that is all across our country. 

I have come to the end of this blog. I realize that when I say, "here's the deal" it is like I am giving a summation of my thoughts and what I am about to say is going to be profound. Chances are that is not the case, but the lead in is great and seems to get the attention of others. I love a good conversation, and here's the deal often starts one. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Pink is just another Color

Just  over a week ago, Waves of Hope hosted an awareness day. We called it "A Day of Hope and Education". It was decided in October that Waves of Hope would get behind a researcher at Brandon University. Dr. Majumder is working on early detection of breast cancer, through a simple blood test. She is also researching to predict treatment outcomes for triple negative breast cancer. TNBC is extremely aggressive and has few treatment options. Her work is to lower the resistance of the cells and make them more responsive to treatment. She is also working on developing treatment options that are not so toxic, but still just as effective when treating breast cancer.  Her dream is to find a cure for cancer.  Little did we know in October what April was going to bring.  It has been an absolute honor to spend time with Dr. Majumder and her husband who I call her wingman. Sujit is her lab manager and so much more. They are two of the most caring and wonderful people I know. The...

June 1

Today is "Cancer Survivor Day" in Canada. If you are a cancer survivor, make sure you do something to celebrate "you" and "your survival".  When I started my career nearly 50 years ago, the cancer rate was 1 in 33 people. Today in Canada, approximately 2 in 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. About 1 in 4 will die from it. The number of new cancer cases and deaths continues to increase due to the aging and growing population.  There are signs of improvement in survival rates for many cancers especially blood cancers.  Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, prostate and colorectal. Nova Scotia has a higher mortality rate for all types of cancer. Ontario has the highest number of new cancer cases. BC and Alberta have the lowest rates of cancer deaths.  When I joined the Waves of Hope Dragon Boat team I was introduced to not only a new activity, but dozens of breast cancer survivors. These women are so inspirational. I had ...

Cancerversary

A C ancerversary is a definition that was created by Bestie which means a celebration to honor breast cancer survivorship.  It all began two years ago when I suggested that we should celebrate with a trip for what was going to be her 10-year mark of survivorship. She could pick whatever she wanted to do, and I would do it. We attempted to make plans, some as simple as a weekend in Winnipeg and some more elaborate like a cruise down the St. Lawerence. For one reason or another, we couldn't make anything happen. Life stepped in our way and said, "you aren't going anywhere", and we didn't for two years. Then out of the blue  I got a text from Bestie that said, "do you want to go on a Rhine River Cruise?". This was it; she had picked how we would celebrate and I was in. Yep, we planned what would be the biggest trip of our lives in a few minutes by text. That was nearly a year ago. There is considerable planning that goes into a trip like this. Our roles wer...