Skip to main content

Non-Profit

May and I just had a blaze of glory "Summer Bakesale". To say we threw it together would be an accurate description of how it came to be. We are not new to making a Bakesale happen, and this time we only offered six choices. The Bakesale favorites are our signature brownies, Grandma Dempsey's gingersnaps, Kay's Puffed wheat cake, Monster cookies, pumpkin muffins and carrot muffins with cream cheese icing. 

We baked everything within 24 hours of the sale. The muffins and puffed wheat cake were made the day before. The day of the sale we did the brownies and cookies. It is unpredictable as to what people's favorite would be. We threw in the carrot cake muffins as the last-minute item, and they became a popular request. I realized I only had this one picture to share, and it was at the end of the sale. 

My business partner is now 13 and is very capable in the kitchen. Her mother is the business manager; we describe ourselves as non-profit. In other words, we work towards a cause, which is to help a 13-year-old understand the world of business. It is important that every person have a way to make money, when they really need money. 

Our customers have gotten familiar with bringing their own containers. They circle around the table picking out what they want to purchase. It is an incredibly easy way of selling, no prepackaging, no having to take 6 of the same things at our Bakesale. I could only guess that we probably made 500 bake items in total. We do take pre-orders for those that can't attend.    

The heartwarming part of this is the generosity of our friends and families. Yes, they love to get something homemade for their money, but they faithfully show up and buy. Since the beginning we try to have a give back moment. Our choice this time was to give a large amount of baking to a young mom of 2 that has just been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins's lymphoma. She was looking forward to the cream cheese carrot muffins, and she took home so much more. Those moments are how you measure the success of an event. 

I was thinking how parenting falls under the category of "non-profit". Non-profit means it operates for a collective benefit. Key aspects of a non-profit organization are their ability to fulfill their mission with respect to accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, honesty and openness to every person who has invested time, money and faith into the organization. As a family organization everyone works for the better good of the family. No one gets paid to parent or any other job. As a parent in the family non-profit organization their role is to teach the requirements and accountability to everyone in the family. It is also an organization everyone will be a life member. Some families do better than others in their organizations but that is the way non-profits work.  

I know I am not alone as someone that enjoys being involved in non-profit organizations. Everyone has their own reason for being involved in community work or, for not being involved. Personally, I enjoy being part of a group that is working towards a cause. I am a geek when it comes to organizing on paper and I love to fuss with all of the little details. I like to draw people in and encourage them to work towards their strengths. I know when someone can do something better than I can, I will certainly let them. It is the personal satisfaction when an event is a success. There is no better feeling than to know you have made a difference in someone's life or community. 










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Pink is just another Color

Just  over a week ago, Waves of Hope hosted an awareness day. We called it "A Day of Hope and Education". It was decided in October that Waves of Hope would get behind a researcher at Brandon University. Dr. Majumder is working on early detection of breast cancer, through a simple blood test. She is also researching to predict treatment outcomes for triple negative breast cancer. TNBC is extremely aggressive and has few treatment options. Her work is to lower the resistance of the cells and make them more responsive to treatment. She is also working on developing treatment options that are not so toxic, but still just as effective when treating breast cancer.  Her dream is to find a cure for cancer.  Little did we know in October what April was going to bring.  It has been an absolute honor to spend time with Dr. Majumder and her husband who I call her wingman. Sujit is her lab manager and so much more. They are two of the most caring and wonderful people I know. The...

June 1

Today is "Cancer Survivor Day" in Canada. If you are a cancer survivor, make sure you do something to celebrate "you" and "your survival".  When I started my career nearly 50 years ago, the cancer rate was 1 in 33 people. Today in Canada, approximately 2 in 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. About 1 in 4 will die from it. The number of new cancer cases and deaths continues to increase due to the aging and growing population.  There are signs of improvement in survival rates for many cancers especially blood cancers.  Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, prostate and colorectal. Nova Scotia has a higher mortality rate for all types of cancer. Ontario has the highest number of new cancer cases. BC and Alberta have the lowest rates of cancer deaths.  When I joined the Waves of Hope Dragon Boat team I was introduced to not only a new activity, but dozens of breast cancer survivors. These women are so inspirational. I had ...

Cancerversary

A C ancerversary is a definition that was created by Bestie which means a celebration to honor breast cancer survivorship.  It all began two years ago when I suggested that we should celebrate with a trip for what was going to be her 10-year mark of survivorship. She could pick whatever she wanted to do, and I would do it. We attempted to make plans, some as simple as a weekend in Winnipeg and some more elaborate like a cruise down the St. Lawerence. For one reason or another, we couldn't make anything happen. Life stepped in our way and said, "you aren't going anywhere", and we didn't for two years. Then out of the blue  I got a text from Bestie that said, "do you want to go on a Rhine River Cruise?". This was it; she had picked how we would celebrate and I was in. Yep, we planned what would be the biggest trip of our lives in a few minutes by text. That was nearly a year ago. There is considerable planning that goes into a trip like this. Our roles wer...