The first place that we went was to a home at Lake Clemente. I visit that lake often and I have admired the home and the beauty in this one particular yard for a very long time. I was excited to have the opportunity to get a closer look. Every spring there is something new added. The owner said he had lived there for 36 years, and that he doesn't own a cell phone nor a TV. Judging from his yard, his days are very busy.
At each stop the hosts offered water and a snack, some had entertainment. At the Daly House the Ukulele club was playing and singing. I didn't know Brandon had a Ukulele club. Another home had a violinist, and one had a young woman that sang and accompanied herself on the guitar. It was extremely well done, and all of the homeowners were so gracious. I even managed to snag a door prize of a $50 gift certificate to the Green Spot.
Brandon has a large community garden. Hummingbird gardens have over 400 spots, and every inch of soil is used. It consists of some raised and regular garden spots. It is just lush this year. For $15 you can have a garden which includes water. No wonder there is a waiting list.
I believe I have lost my love of gardening, I'm not sure I ever had it. I do appreciate other people's gardens and the effort they put into their plants. I know how hard it is to keep everything looking like it does. I have never felt connected to the soil and it never has been my happy place. For me, gardening and large flowerbeds simply looks like a lot of hard work.
I do have a small patio area which I decided this year to make cozier. What you see in the picture is pretty much the extent of my flower gardens. I do have a large tomato plant that has 6 tomatoes on it. Yep, just 6.
I have a quaint fairy garden; it is appropriate at my house because the name "Faye" means fairy or magical being. I am really proud of my tree that was a gift for my 60th birthday. It is now 10 years old and makes a substantial growth every year.
Once upon a time, when I had a large garden, I didn't appreciate how wonderful everything tasted. Now, when I have to pay an insane amount of money to buy fresh garden vegetables, I am reminded of how good I had it. I am one of those people that is so happy when people say, "could you use". On an average year, I believe those that garden over plant and have lots to give away. Let's face it if it is a year for zucchini or tomatoes, it is a good year for everyone. Just know, a gift of fresh vegetables is the best gift ever for those that don't have a garden.
In closing, I am going to take a moment to reflect on the following quote. I have never given it any thought, but I now realize we all have a garden of life. What you plant in that garden is up to you. Take a moment to reflect on what you have planted in your own garden of life. What do you need to weed from your garden. What do you need to plant more of and what is thriving. We all need to have a lush "Garden of Life".









Comments
Post a Comment