Skip to main content

100 Years Old

I love to read stories about people that have made it to "100" years old. The young at heart, vibrant, no one would have a clue they are 100, kind of person. Canada has 12,281 people that are centenarians. (29.5 people per 100,000). It is now the fastest growing age group in the country, having more than tripled since 2000. Women are the vast majority of centenarians having 81% of the population. 

I recently read an article about a woman that just turned 100. She lives with her grandson, and he posts comedic things that she does on her Instagram "Gangster Granny". She has seen it all, WW2, the great depression and at 96 she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She had treatment and is healthy again. 

Here is a recap of her list of 6 things that she attributes to her long and healthy life. 

1 Keep Busy: She maintains that she keeps her mental acuity through "faith and hard work". During WW II she built bomb shelters, she then worked at General Motors, General Electric and for 20 years worked at a bakery. In her 80s she worked in a dollar store. 

2. Move your Body: She encourages others to maintain their physical health by keeping their bodies moving. Her list of activities includes swimming in a nearby river every morning, walked a mile to school each way. She played basketball, roller-skated and ice skated. Recently, she has slowed down and uses a walker or a cane outside. 

3. Eat what makes you happy: This lady acquired a sweet tooth while working in the bakery. Her grandson insists she has the worst diet in the world. 

4. Laugh a lot: She believes that laughter is the best medicine. 

5. Live with a purpose: waking up every day knowing that she has family and friends, but also millions of people that admire her and she can make them laugh. 

6. Embrace adventure: This little lady set the Guiness World Record as the oldest person to crowd surf. She was passed across 20,000-strong crowd.

I am not sure how some people get to be 100, with both their mind and body intact. In fact, I'm not sure how it is done at 80 or 90. I do believe it is not because they led a healthy lifestyle, free of stress. I believe it is because they live life. They don't impose any restrictions on themselves; they eat what they want and do what they want.  

My Mom is nearly 92. As I write this, she is visiting with me. The weekend is jammed packed with activity. Shopping her favorite stores, Walmart, Giant Tiger, Dollar Tree and Dollarama. We had pedicures and made several "Hope" bracelets. She is my knitting consultant and has sorted out my tangled wool. We are going to make a gift of food, I will make casseroles and she is making apple pie and butter tarts.

I feel so blessed to be nearly 70 and be able to have my mom come for a visit. We are only 22 years apart in age, so that is in our favor. I decided to create a list of factors that I feel have helped my Mom to live such a long life.  

1. Longevity in her family: Her mom lived to be 98. Seventeen years of that was after having a stroke and living in a care home. I believe genes do play a role and the women in Mom's family do live a long life with a sharp mind. 

2. Coffee and chatting: My Mom has always loved to "have coffee". She loved the routine of having coffee with her Carievale Villa friends at the same time every day. Time for "tea or coffee" has always been important to Mom.  

3. Personable: Mom enjoys people. She will ask many questions of others before talking about herself. We don't have a big family, but she has managed to get to the status of Great Great Grandma. Many non-related people will call her "Grandma" and that is just fine with her. Mom loves babies and will approach anyone that has a baby just to say "Hi".   

4. Food: Not so much anymore, but at one time, Mom enjoyed dessert and sweets. It seems that as a person ages, they lose their appetite. Although not often hungry Mom always eats three times a day. Like a sparrow I might add, but she gives it a go. Mom would have no understanding of healthy fats, low carb or any of those things, she just eats what she wants. 

5. Routine: Every day mom gets up and does the same thing to get ready for her day. Every evening she has the same routine to get ready for bed. There is no stress if you do the same thing every day. She has a daybook on her table by her chair. It keeps her focused not only of her daily events, but things that she needs to take care of, or discuss with others. This area is what she calls her office. 

6. Keeping her mind occupied: Mom is someone that has a 500-piece puzzle on the go every day. She masters over 100 puzzles every year. She never sits idle in her chair, she checks her iPad, sends text messages, watches TV or does her puzzle. 

7. Technology: Many years ago, we got Mom a computer. Facebook became a good source of information for her. She now relies on her faithful iPad to "see what is going on". I am really glad that she has mastered her cell phone. She is a rock star at texting, and it is such a good way to keep in touch. Mom doesn't watch the news; she says it is not worth watching and is too upsetting.

8. Shopping: Mom was always a catalogue shopper. The love of getting a parcel from Sears or Eaton's is a fond memory for many of us. Put a shopping cart in front of her and she is off.  

9. Curling and the Blue Jays: Brad Gushue has been Mom's favorite curler since the day he arrived on the scene. When Brandon had the Brier, Mom was able to meet Brad in person, he was so gracious with her. If there is no curling to watch, she will find a game on YouTube. Her great grandson showed her how to manage YouTube, and it opened up a new world for her. Mom is also a Blue Jays fan and knows the players as if they were family. 

10. Health: Mom has never had cancer, but she has given many other diseases a run for their money. In her wee little body, she carries around an assortment of chronic conditions.  

I think Mom is totally capable of making it to 100 years old. My dear Aunt used to say, "I'm not sure how I got to be this old, I guess God isn't done with me yet". I believe that is the only answer to "why do some people make it to 100", God isn't done with them yet. 

                                                   


Comments

  1. Your mom is so cool !
    My mom will turn 104 in September! How about that !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Pink is just another Color

Just  over a week ago, Waves of Hope hosted an awareness day. We called it "A Day of Hope and Education". It was decided in October that Waves of Hope would get behind a researcher at Brandon University. Dr. Majumder is working on early detection of breast cancer, through a simple blood test. She is also researching to predict treatment outcomes for triple negative breast cancer. TNBC is extremely aggressive and has few treatment options. Her work is to lower the resistance of the cells and make them more responsive to treatment. She is also working on developing treatment options that are not so toxic, but still just as effective when treating breast cancer.  Her dream is to find a cure for cancer.  Little did we know in October what April was going to bring.  It has been an absolute honor to spend time with Dr. Majumder and her husband who I call her wingman. Sujit is her lab manager and so much more. They are two of the most caring and wonderful people I know. The...

June 1

Today is "Cancer Survivor Day" in Canada. If you are a cancer survivor, make sure you do something to celebrate "you" and "your survival".  When I started my career nearly 50 years ago, the cancer rate was 1 in 33 people. Today in Canada, approximately 2 in 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. About 1 in 4 will die from it. The number of new cancer cases and deaths continues to increase due to the aging and growing population.  There are signs of improvement in survival rates for many cancers especially blood cancers.  Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, prostate and colorectal. Nova Scotia has a higher mortality rate for all types of cancer. Ontario has the highest number of new cancer cases. BC and Alberta have the lowest rates of cancer deaths.  When I joined the Waves of Hope Dragon Boat team I was introduced to not only a new activity, but dozens of breast cancer survivors. These women are so inspirational. I had ...

Cancerversary

A C ancerversary is a definition that was created by Bestie which means a celebration to honor breast cancer survivorship.  It all began two years ago when I suggested that we should celebrate with a trip for what was going to be her 10-year mark of survivorship. She could pick whatever she wanted to do, and I would do it. We attempted to make plans, some as simple as a weekend in Winnipeg and some more elaborate like a cruise down the St. Lawerence. For one reason or another, we couldn't make anything happen. Life stepped in our way and said, "you aren't going anywhere", and we didn't for two years. Then out of the blue  I got a text from Bestie that said, "do you want to go on a Rhine River Cruise?". This was it; she had picked how we would celebrate and I was in. Yep, we planned what would be the biggest trip of our lives in a few minutes by text. That was nearly a year ago. There is considerable planning that goes into a trip like this. Our roles wer...