Mother nature wasn't done with us yet. The humidex on both days was well over 40. I have never given sun protection much thought. I did use sunscreen simply because I didn't have my usual tan and I knew I would burn. I have never worn a hat in my life, so I wasn't about to start. Some of the team members were covered from head to toe with wide brimmed hats, long shirts and pants. They naturally burn or they can't tolerate the sun. I was reminded that after receiving chemo, some react to the sun differently than they did before. I have no idea how they managed being covered like that, it just goes along with all of the other things I can't imagine about having cancer and chemo. Obviously, they know the power of pink was there when they needed it.
In my other life I had a well-established habit of stopping when I felt I had done enough. Often it was associated with "just enough". I am learning how to push myself when it comes to being an athlete. I realize for many, you are laughing at what you just read. For me, this is as close as it is going to get for me to be an athlete. I have come to realize I had no clue what I was capable of. I learned at the training weekend that I had pushed myself more than I believed was possible. Not the actually paddling, that was paced nicely. It was the relentless heat. But everyone else was enduring it and I found out I did have more to give, there was clearly more in my personal tank. Quitting was not an option for me, and it only happens when the rest of the team also quits. Clearly, I had to grab onto my own power of pink to push on.
When I am around cancer survivors, I realize it is no time to be wimpy. They are an inspiration. They have endured far worse than a hot couple of days. I see why pink is associated with breast cancer. Pink represents compassion, kindness and nurturing energy. It reminds us to live with an open heart and a joyful spirit. One of the first things we do with a baby girl is to dress and wrap her in pink. From that day forward she knows the "Power of Pink".




Comments
Post a Comment