Skip to main content

Royal Thoughts


The Royals have always been fascinating to me. As a child I looked at their lives as magical. The women wore gowns with a tiara, the men would wear uniforms adorned with medals. They lived in a castle and traveled by horse drawn carriages. What a beautiful life they lived. I have since learned that they are very hard-working people, their life is steeped in tradition, protocol and devotion to their role in the monarch.  

I often think of William and Kate and how they are handling her health crisis and life in the public eye. Dealing with chemotherapy at any time is difficult, let alone at 42, with 3 small children and married to the future King. Princess Kate's first appearance since her cancer diagnosis was the "Trooping of the Colors". This is one of the most important events on the Royal calendar. It is to celebrate the King's birthday which will be in November. She looked radiant as always, despite how she must have felt on the inside. 

I read Kate's message about her journey with cancer treatments. I loved the part where she said, "as those that have had chemotherapy know, some days are good, and some days aren't". The simple reference to "Others" going through the same thing, is the reason we love her so much. 

Prince William celebrated his birthday on June 12, at a Taylor Swift concert in London. He took his children, and they are known as "Swifties". This is something that Diana would have done with her sons. I love how William and Kate bring as much normal into the lives of their children as they can. Yes, there would be many men at the concert with their kids and the future King was one of them. If Kate were well the entire family would have been together. 

Princess Anne has recently been hospitalized with a concussion. She spent a few days there following an accident where she was kicked by one of her beloved horses. I understand that Anne is the hardest working royal and during his illness she took over some of King Charles's duties. Anne seems to be kind and humble. She is known to make frequent visits to see Kate to support her during her treatments. I have nothing but respect for Anne, she seems like the quiet worker bee, she does her royal duties and so much more with little recognition. Because she is female, Princess Anne is 17th in succession to the throne. 

Diana would have been 63 on July 1. I think we can all remember where we were when we heard the announcement she had died in a car accident. The world mourned her death. She wanted to be, "Queen of our hearts" and she was. One of her famous quotes was, "Family is the most important thing in the world". That was so evident when we saw her with her sons. I can only imagine how she would be if she were alive with her 5 little grandchildren. I feel she would be a tremendous support for her two daughters-in-laws living the royal life. In many ways I think Kate is like Diana, in a non-rebellious way. They are similar in that they are both stunning and devoted mothers.  

My thoughts when I think about the Royals are; they are also people, they don't have any superpowers. They would have received the best medical attention known to man, but they still get cancer. Anne is an accomplished horse person, but somehow, she ended up in the hospital with a concussion. They are not spared the agony of death. Even thought they had their issues with Diana, her death was obviously hard on each of the members of the royal family. I think the current royals are allowed to live a more normal life. I love how William and Harry show such respect and devotion to their wives and children. 

My final thought is that I could never be a royal. Knowing the royal protocol would be way too much for me. Having to wear high heels and a dress everywhere would also be an issue. Being chased by paparazzi would never be something I could just accept. Their lives are not as magical as I thought as a child. But I still love to watch any Royal event and will always enjoy the gowns, crowns, parades, uniforms, horse drawn carriages and castles.   

In closing I am going to share one of Queen Elizabeth's quotes that I really like: 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Pink is just another Color

Just  over a week ago, Waves of Hope hosted an awareness day. We called it "A Day of Hope and Education". It was decided in October that Waves of Hope would get behind a researcher at Brandon University. Dr. Majumder is working on early detection of breast cancer, through a simple blood test. She is also researching to predict treatment outcomes for triple negative breast cancer. TNBC is extremely aggressive and has few treatment options. Her work is to lower the resistance of the cells and make them more responsive to treatment. She is also working on developing treatment options that are not so toxic, but still just as effective when treating breast cancer.  Her dream is to find a cure for cancer.  Little did we know in October what April was going to bring.  It has been an absolute honor to spend time with Dr. Majumder and her husband who I call her wingman. Sujit is her lab manager and so much more. They are two of the most caring and wonderful people I know. The...

June 1

Today is "Cancer Survivor Day" in Canada. If you are a cancer survivor, make sure you do something to celebrate "you" and "your survival".  When I started my career nearly 50 years ago, the cancer rate was 1 in 33 people. Today in Canada, approximately 2 in 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. About 1 in 4 will die from it. The number of new cancer cases and deaths continues to increase due to the aging and growing population.  There are signs of improvement in survival rates for many cancers especially blood cancers.  Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, prostate and colorectal. Nova Scotia has a higher mortality rate for all types of cancer. Ontario has the highest number of new cancer cases. BC and Alberta have the lowest rates of cancer deaths.  When I joined the Waves of Hope Dragon Boat team I was introduced to not only a new activity, but dozens of breast cancer survivors. These women are so inspirational. I had ...

Cancerversary

A C ancerversary is a definition that was created by Bestie which means a celebration to honor breast cancer survivorship.  It all began two years ago when I suggested that we should celebrate with a trip for what was going to be her 10-year mark of survivorship. She could pick whatever she wanted to do, and I would do it. We attempted to make plans, some as simple as a weekend in Winnipeg and some more elaborate like a cruise down the St. Lawerence. For one reason or another, we couldn't make anything happen. Life stepped in our way and said, "you aren't going anywhere", and we didn't for two years. Then out of the blue  I got a text from Bestie that said, "do you want to go on a Rhine River Cruise?". This was it; she had picked how we would celebrate and I was in. Yep, we planned what would be the biggest trip of our lives in a few minutes by text. That was nearly a year ago. There is considerable planning that goes into a trip like this. Our roles wer...