Skip to main content

;

The simple meaning of a semicolon is that the author could have ended the story but didn't. I recently asked a young woman about her tattoo, "cont;ue". She went on to explain what a semicolon tattoo meant. For her it meant her story hadn't ended. I have since realized there is a whole phenomenon out there about the semicolon. When you ask someone who has a tattoo what the story is behind it, they are more than happy to share. The semicolon tattoo speaks volumes without the person even uttering a word. It is a piece of soul exposed to the world. The semicolon is a symbol of a battle fought, a pause that wasn't a stop, and the ongoing narrative of mental health. 

Project Semicolon was started in 2013 by a young woman who was struggling with the effects of mental health issues. She chose the semicolon as a beacon to guide people through the journeys with depression, suicide and self-harm. It is a movement that is encouraging individuals to take their darkest moments and turn them into powerful continuations, the starting points for further personal growth. If you have a semicolon tattoo you are part of a living, breathing exhibit of solidarity. This silent language of tattoos speaks volumes, acknowledging the shared pain and the collective courage to carry on. 

I always thought my biggest struggle was when to use a semicolon and when not to. I was rather surprised to realize this whole world of semicolon tattoos was going on around me and I was unaware of it. What a beautiful meaning behind the semicolon. It is a universal signal to support others that are struggling with mental health issues without saying a word. A simple sign of hope, I love it. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther