Skip to main content

Penticton



My first year as a member of the Waves of Hope, Dragon Boat paddling team has come to a close. It has been a very interesting experience and one I will cherish. To be part of a group of women that have survived breast cancer and are passionate to help others and promote awareness is exactly what the world needs more of. When I would get on the dragon boat, known as "Kindred Spirit", I felt empowered. I had never held a paddle in my hand before and to say it was a learning experience is an understatement.

The season ended in Penticton at a festival. As usual I signed up on a whim to be part of the team. As the date got closer, I became nervous. I thought I was strong enough to get through the races, I was a bit anxious about the unknown. Not one other person appeared to be nervous, so I just followed their lead. There were some seasoned veterans who knew everything there was to know about the event and I just followed along. 

The weekend started on Thursday leaving for Calgary from Brandon airport. After a long wait in the airport, we were off to Penticton. Friday was a day of enjoying Penticton and a short practice on the beautiful lake. 

There were 64 teams, which had at least 22 paddlers as well as management and supporters. There were tents and people everywhere. Not all teams were breast cancer survivor teams, many were competitive teams with mixed genders. There were food trucks, vendors and of course beer gardens. Everyone enjoyed dancing on the beach and other interesting activities.   

Our first race was on Saturday at 9:17, which said to me, this event will run on time. Our races were 500 meters. You had to paddle out to the starting line and then give it all you could to the finish line. It was so exciting, and everyone was clearly dealing with a bit of nervousness. Our first race didn't go so well for the Waves; we never got our stride. The following two races presented a better performance, and everyone felt so much better. The teams from BC can paddle all year long, which was evident in their times. 

At the close of day #1, we were off to the pajama party at the beer gardens. We all dressed alike in our matching pajamas. Cinderella, the cow, came along. The guest speaker was Dr. Don, a sports medicine doctor responsible for the starting of breast cancer dragon boats over 25 years ago. He went against the belief and said women that had breast cancer surgery and treatment should do rigorous exercise. There are now over 300 breast cancer dragon boats spread over 4 continents. 

Dr. Don is passionate about exercise for health. His message for us was profound. He shared the current research based on the positive effect rigorous exercise has for those in treatment for any type of cancer. I can't imagine anyone having the strength to exercise while in treatment, but the research statistics were impressive.  

Day #2 race time was 8:19. The group of volunteers were like machines, and nothing fell behind. There was considerable time spent waiting in line, but when it was your turn to get in the boat, it was quick and efficient. Boats for the next race were paddling out as the current race was running. The team raced 3 times on Sunday. 

The second race of the day was the "Breast Cancer Survivor" race. Only breast cancer survivors participated and there were only 7 boats. The shore was lined with supporters. Once the race is over the boats are docked and a ceremony takes place. As they played the song, "Pink" the survivors sat in the boat and waved a pink carnation to honor survivorship and those lost to breast cancer. The carnations were then placed into the water. There was not a dry eye anywhere. It is so emotional to look at the faces of the survivors and know the struggles they must have gone through to be able to paddle with the strength they have. Waves of Hope placed second in the Breast Cancer Challenge with a time of 2:41. It was the best time of the weekend for our team. 

The last race of the weekend arrived. I was placed in seat 6 with my partner Lorinda. Seats 5, 6 and 7 are referred to as "the engine". It is a long paddle out to the start line, and I wanted to remember every moment of this last race. Once you get to the start, it is "focus in the boat". When they say attention, you get your paddle in position and in a nano second you are off. There are 15 quick strokes and then you get into your stride, everyone in unison. I was placed behind one of our best paddlers. I never took my eyes off her. Prior to this event, I have never experienced pushing myself to the point I did to finish the race. I thought I had but I was wrong. Many of you know that sensation, but it was new to me. I felt if 19 other women could push themselves to the point of extreme exhaustion to get across the finish line so could I. I could see the paddler in front of me was digging deep. She is so powerful, and I got strength from being near her. We powered through and it was the best feeling. 

I have such wonderful memories of the weekend. I know I have made lifelong friendships. I had the best roomie in the hotel. Our drummer ended the weekend with a sore throat and hoarse from yelling directions and encouragement. Our steer's person was an import from a team in Winnipeg. She is a member of "Chemo Savy" and she managed our boat with unbelievable skill. I heard dozens of breast cancer stories. Each story was different. Our coach is 75 years old and is one of the strongest people I know. Since she was 27 years old, she has run a minimum of 4 miles every day. She tells us that we may not like her because she is not afraid to call us out. I have nothing but respect for her as a coach. Women are hard to manage, and it was no different at the festival. There was so much organization to make this happen, and it went flawlessly.  

In reflection of this year, I can't believe after years of wanting to be a member of the Dragon Boat team, I actually made it happen. I had the picture of the team on my dryer for years, with anticipation of being in that boat. I knew I couldn't commit until I was retired, which places me in the older half of the team. There are times when I am sitting on the boat, wondering what have I gotten myself into. That is usually after we have paddled for what I felt was an endless length of time. I sit in the center of the boat, which I refer to as, "the big girl section". If the waves are high, the water is an inch from going over the top of the boat. But, for the most part I think, this is amazing. Twenty-two women are together on a boat, inches apart and going across the lake in perfect unison. Most of them remember the reason they are part of the team and are proud to be among other survivors. Others, like me, sit in awe of how healthy they are and devoted to the sport and cause. 

It has been a very interesting summer being part of the "Waves of Hope". It is a dream come true for me. As you finish reading this post, I hope I have inspired you to follow your dream, it is the most amazing experience when you do.  

Comments

  1. Congratulations Faye! You are a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Faye. I am sure there isn’t anything you could not do once you put your mind to it. So proud of you for joining The Waves of Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting so,so proud of you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Faye! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther