Skip to main content

Phrases

Some people are good at reciting a quote that sums up a situation. We all know those people that will say, "my mom always said" or "like my dad would say". Others, like me, have basically nothing. I do have a few favorites sayings, and then there are others that would never cross my lips. I put some thought into sayings, and this is what I came up with.  

Let's start with "It's not my job". Throughout my entire career, if there was a spill, I cleaned it up. If there were paper towels all over, I picked them up. As I neared retirement, I sadly started to get comments like, "why are you doing that, it's not your job". Since when did being a good helpful human being, not become my job? What is wrong with helping others? Many people that clean at the Hospital are immigrants. Although, they may be professors, teachers, nurses, doctors, whatever in their own country, they are willing to clean in Canada. They needed a job, and no job was beneath them. They never complain, and they certainly wouldn't say anything about having to pick up after others. I feel bad for anyone whose job is to clean up other people's messes, no one should have to do that. When I took students to a new ward, we went around and introduced ourselves to everyone that worked on the floor, that included the cleaning staff. The response was incredible. They were very much part of the team, and I wanted the students to understand their importance. 

If you want to make me gasp and start my mind whirling, just say, "There is nothing you can do about it". In my mind, that is simply not true. There is always something you can do. It may not be the result I anticipated, but I feel I need to make an effort to find another solution.  
I love change. To me change breathes life into a situation. Change doesn't happen immediately, and it will take time to work and to see improvement. I love it when people give change a chance. There are always people that don't like change and they will say, "that's the way it has always been done".  

How about, "I'm done, I quit". I feel people that use that line often use it as a knee jerk response. They are angry or frustrated and that seems like a good solution at the time. When people quit because they are losing, and they won't even try is upsetting to me. You have to give it your all, no matter what you are doing. For sure, my all and someone else's is different. But, to complete a job is what needs to be done. Even in a competition when you are losing, cross the finish line. Make it your personal best, quitting is not an option.

Even though I live with rose-colored glasses; I am also a realist. There are times when I have had to say, "I tried my hardest and nothing worked". Those are the moments that I quit. I think as humans we all have an end point in what we can do. As much as it pains me, on the rare occasion, I call it quits.
"Anything is possible". No truer words are ever spoken in my mind. The issue is the work involved in making it happen. It seems that nothing good in life comes easily. Believing is achieving, and always believe it is possible.   
Then there is, "what is done is done". I strongly believe in closure and this line works for me. There are times when there is no turning back and you realize you need to be done with the situation.  

A new phrase I have adapted is, "the windshield is bigger than the review mirror". Letting go of things can be the hardest thing to do. Living in an unhealthy past makes it difficult to look through the windshield.  I think it is about the expectations that we had that didn't get met. We are hurt, and that feeling keeps drawing us back to the past. Going forward looking through the windshield is a very healthy thing to do.  
                                                  

"It is, what it is". I overuse this line. To me it simply means, well that is the way it is. It is a fact-based comment. When I think of this phrase, I think of making sense of a situation and going with it or dealing with it.  

In closing, if I have struggles and nothing can be resolved this is the phrase that I use to calm myself and get centered. Those few lines are the guiding force for the people that follow a 12-step program. Sometimes there is nothing more that we can do but to say these profound words, truly understand them, and move forward in life.   






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther