Skip to main content

Expectation Adjustment

Let's face it, some of our biggest disappointments have come when our expectations haven't been met. Sometimes our disappointment comes from the expectation we put on ourselves and we couldn't meet it. Or we may have expected something from others, and they didn't deliver. Probably because they were unaware of what we wanted or perhaps our expectations of them were to high or weren't in their plan. 

I have mixed thoughts when it comes to expectations. In one sense I think you have to have expectations of yourself to be successful. Whereas I don't think you should pressure yourself to be something, just to meet others' expectations of you. For me, my expectation for myself is, I do what I can. I try to do the right thing and to the best of my ability.   

I do have expectations that need adjusting to fit into today's world. I expect that people will go to work and work as hard as they can to do the best job they can. They are getting paid and that is my expectation. There are still many wonderful people out there doing just that, but again there are getting way too many that aren't. I recently stopped in at a secondhand store. The store is run by volunteers and that day they were all hands-on deck. These non-paid people were just hustling, going over and above to help others. At the end of the day there was no paycheck or overtime for them, just pride in a job well done. Which leads me to my second expectation, I expect things to be done in a timely and efficient manner. This list could go on, but I am going to leave it at that, I think you get the picture. I am adjusting to the new world, but it has been a work in progress. I am lowering my expectations and accepting it is what it is.

I have learned in order to make change; one must do self-reflection. We have all been guilty of doing more than we should. We get caught up in the situation and what needs to be done and very soon we get lost in it. We believe someone has to do it, and because we have faith in ourselves to do the best job, we are all in. Personal standards are what gets us in trouble every time. 

A result of not having our expectations met is not only disappointment but often self-pity. Jealousy or annoyance of others are often part of our pity party, and it is now spiraling out of control. There is a saying, "you can't help anyone else until you help yourself". It is like putting the oxygen on yourself first and then helping others. Being clear of your own expectations, or expectations of others is key. 

So, I have adapted the line, "expectation adjustment". Do we need to ask ourselves, "what is going on in the other person's life, that they can't meet my expectation?". "Is this an unrealistic expectation for myself and for others?". 

Maybe it is time for a good spring cleaning of expectations. A little adjustment never hurts in any situation. Working on ourselves is usually difficult, but so rewarding. I find healing and calmness comes to me when I embrace the saying "I have no expectations". It makes the results so much more delightful.  







Comments

  1. You have always accomplished all Faye! I did at one time,but as I have aged I seem to be so slow,hard to accept that I can’t do 3 batches of buns a day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther