Skip to main content

May the second half be the best half!


As June was coming to an end, I heard the radio announcer say, "the first half of 2023 was over and may the second half be the best half". I have always looked forward to the summer months and I knew that the second half would be the best half for me. July looked like a nice month to do spontaneous things. I have always tried to do a simple activity every day during the summer months, like going to the pool or coffee in the park. Now, as I write this at the end of August, it is clear to me that it has been a summer that was so different than I had planned. Not just because of Mom being sick and hospitalized, but there were many factors that changed the direction of my summer.  

July may not have unfolded like I thought it would, but August was a new month full of fun things. There was a magical thing that happened this summer when I got to be bridesmaid again at my sister and her husband's 50th Anniversary. They never asked Janice and I to be bridesmaids again, we may have self-appointed ourselves and we did enjoy the role to the fullest. The honored couple looked amazing in her golden dress and his exquisite suit with matching touches.  Months before the event, Janice and I decided to dress alike. That created an insane amount of text messages, google searches for the perfect outfit and matching jewelry. It was so much fun and well worth the effort. The best part is we kept it a secret from everyone. We were almost bursting by the time the day was finally here.

               

The evening was emotional as "The Journey" was shared by their family. Lots of pictures, memories, some dancing, and tons of tears. This couple were married young and have stood the test of time. They are among the 5% of Canadians that have celebrated their Golden Anniversary. 

Janice and I felt they needed a special gift. We put our ideas together and made a book titled, "50 Ideas to make your Golden Anniversary Memorable". Fifty things to accomplish in one year is a lot, and we hope they have fun with them.

I had a wonderful visit from my son and his family. It is so much fun to play again as an adult. It was definitely a memory making time for all of us. Who knew Kinsmen Bingo would be one of the most favorite things to do in Manitoba.

           

                                  

I got to enjoy some "R&R" with a dear friend at a Bed and Breakfast. This B&B used to be the old Clear Lake Lodge. A couple bought it for a dollar and then moved it to a hill outside of Onanole. It took them nearly two years to remodel it and what a fine job they have done. It is 11,000 square feet and has 11 rooms available. It also has a separate suite which has a kitchen, living area, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and private deck. The place is full of elegant antiques, and it is like stepping back in time. What a gem of a business they run.  

Breakfast spot

The sitting area
                  








My bed was sectioned off 
of the other half of the room with
another twin bed.
One of my "to do" things this summer was to visit my cousin at Ditch Lake. Well, that was an absolute delight. I managed to grab onto one of the two nice days in August at the lake. All my life I have seen myself living in a cottage, lakeside with a pontoon boat. So, for one day, I did just that. 
The challenge lies ahead for all of us to think of having the second half of 2023 as the best half. Actually, it is down to the last quarter of the year. It is not going to be hard to beat the first four months of 2023, as the year started with a horribly long winter. It was confusing if spring had arrived because all that was happening was snow and miserable wind. Crops were late getting planted but did their best to grow and thrive. Hail was an issue in some areas, as well as grasshoppers and beetles. Haying for the most part looked good, how with so little rain is always a mystery. Intense heat came in surges and was mixed with cold temperatures starting in May and continued into August. So, let's hope for a beautiful fall and a late winter. I am frequently reminded, a year ago, on October 26 and 27, I was storm stayed in Swift Current and winter was here to stay. 

If you really think about it, the last half has it made. It includes summer and beautiful fall, as well as the anticipation of Christmas. September is back to school and back to routine. For me, I'm not sure how I feel about the last half/quarter. The years just seem to be flying by and time is precious. I am really sorry that the summer months are nearly over, but they are. I have some exciting things to look forward to in September and I am sure the rest of the months will hold something for me. I like to have at least one activity every month to look forward to, if I don't I create one. We are all responsible for the fun in our own lives, I hope you have great plans for the last half/quarter, and it is memorable.  

A special memory of Hayley wearing
the Puzzle ring that Mom wore
for over 20 years without
ever taking it off. 
It was originally a gift to Mom
from Harley, purchased in Dubai.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther