Skip to main content

Meaningful people


A while back I had lunch with a friend for the first time in three years.  When we said our goodbyes she said, "I just decided I was going to spend more time with the people that are meaningful in my life".  I was really honored to be on what I felt was a dignified and important list. When I had time to reflect, I thought I don't have a list of meaningful people in my life.  Another thought was: is it possible that everyone has a list of meaningful people except for me? Although I pride myself in self-realization, at that moment I recognized that I had no clue what the word "meaningful" even means to me. 
I am not sure what unique word I use for my list of people I want to honor, probably nothing, so I think I should use the word meaningful.  I like the word, but I am not sure of its true meaning.  A quick google search states "meaningful" is serious, important and useful in some way. I realize I have a mental list of people that are "important" to me, just like my friend has a meaningful list.  
As I was wandering around on google, I found a statement that basically said: by creating your own meaningful moments, you will have a richer life. The science behind it is to not wait for someone else to make the first move or for a situation to spontaneously occur. I found that interesting, I actually like spontaneity in my life.  I love to decide to do something and, in a few minutes, I am doing it.  I am never afraid to make the first move to make something happen.  Sending a text or email because I had a thought pop into my head is how I often roll.  I guess, this is how I make meaningful moments happen that give me a richer life. Creativity and productivity are two words that are serious, important and useful for me.    

My takeaway is, I like the word meaningful, and I am going to start to use it more. I believe a meaningful person is like my friend; someone that is important and provides information that is useful for me. I am attracted to people that enhance my life, simply by knowing them.  I love having conversations that teach me something or make me aware of a new perspective. If I were to say one thing, I feel illiterate about, it would be world geography.  Social Studies was never my strongest subject in school.  It was one of those courses where I would learn the information for the exam and then promptly forget it. I am in awe of people's stories about travel, experiences and opportunities.  I find I live vicariously through their words.   

                              
Being meaningful means you have touched the lives of others in some way.  It would be very easy for me to make a list of people that have touched my life.  Those people are usually someone that is unaware of how they have impacted me or others.  They just get up every day to have a better day and make a better place for others.   

                            

So, what on earth are you going to takeaway from this post? If you feel you don't have a meaningful life or aren't meaningful to others, then just do some reflecting.  Everyone is important to someone.  You must have a purpose, and know what that purpose is.  It doesn't have to be huge it can be simple yet meaningful to you and to others. It doesn't sound that hard to have a meaningful life with meaningful people in it, so let's just do it! 












Comments

  1. Wow…I love this. I don’t hope I’m that person to someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops.. I meant I do hope!!

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant but always nice to clarify

      Delete
  2. Another interesting post, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry
    Thanks Faye for making stop and think! Feels like I have just talked with you each time I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther