Skip to main content

Famous people have great quotes


George Strait and I attended the same NFR in Vegas about 20 years ago. I knew he was at the rodeo as I had seen him on the Jumbo Tron just hanging out in one of the suites.  We had gone to Vegas with our good friends, my bestie and her hubby.  The evening was over and most of the crowd had gone when Bestie's hubby in true fashion, calmly announces "there's George Strait".  I looked and there walking towards me was George and the little woman trailing behind.  I was immediately star struck, I knew that because for some reason my mouth wouldn't close and I was speechless.  George walked up to the glass door I was at, him on one side and me on the other and just stood there.  Right there!  He signed a couple of autographs, calmly walked down the stairs and left in his limo.  I just stood there mouth still hanging open, I am sure I looked like I had a stroke. In my lifetime I have forgotten so many things I needed to remember, but I remember every second of this experience in a dream like fashion.  Why did I react in such a way seeing George Strait? I wasn't even a super fan.  I think it was because I have such respect for him.  He lost his daughter in a hit and run when she was 9 and the case has never been solved. He has only been married once and that has been for 51 years.  When he performs that is what he does performs nothing flashy.  Up until the encounter at the door, I thought George was at least 6 feet tall. When he would perform with Alan Jackson, he was the same height through my eyes.  I guess people I admire are taller.  Until I saw him in person, just inches away from me, smiling that grand smile, did I realize he is really short.  Because of my admiration for him, if George says "the best is yet to come", it is. 

The best is yet to come, let's think about those words.  I would just settle for a better year than 2022.  I don't think I ever say "that was a great year", but I am very quick to say "well glad to see that year is over".  It is possible that I had a good year and wasn't aware of it.



One of my favorite songs of Luke Bryan's is "Most people are Good".  I love Luke's music and I respect him as a person.  He is just a country boy with a big heart.  His brother and sister have both died and he is raising his brother's three children.  He sings about his life and his beliefs.  He is a reminder that we are all people, opportunity is bigger for some than for others.  But we are all human and no one is free from suffering no matter how popular or rich we are. 

I, as well think most people are good.  Everyone has something about them that is good.  It is easy to identify good in some of the people we know, where as you may have to dig deep to find it in others. Everyone deserves to have good things said about them and not only at their funeral. I am sure we have all been to a funeral and wondered if we were at the right one.  We had never heard the things that were being said about the deceased. Wouldn't it have been nice if that person, knew how people felt while alive.  I have an elderly neighbor who is such a true gentleman and overall good person.  Every time we talk, I think "if the world had more people like Alex, it would be such a better place for all of us".  I hope everyone can name one Alex in your life.    




Good Ole Willie wisdom.  Willie has lots of quotes and I chose one that wasn't about marijuana and cannabis.  I find Willie an interesting man, and I really like his unique voice.  One of his sons sings just like him, so the Willie Nelson sound will never be gone. Willie has been married four times and has eight children.  He has also experienced the loss of a child.  As I have mentioned, money and prestige doesn't spare you from life's cruel reality.  To quote Willie "We are the same. There is no difference anywhere in the world.  They laugh, cry, feel and love and music seems to be the common denomination that brings us all together". 

I believe positivity is explained with "is your cup half empty or half full"?  My cup is always half full, always has been and no plan to change it.  I do very poorly as a negative person and for the next year going with a full cup. 



Oh, Oprah you are so wise.  She has so many beliefs that she lives by.  I have huge respect for Oprah, she is one of those people with a story of how she turned her life around. She is a powerful, respected and well-known woman that so many of us used to watch every day to gain her wisdom. 

Her is my spontaneous thankful list. I have always been extremely thankful for my family, devoted friends, career, chance to retire and warm home.  As a person I am thankful to be confident, an extrovert or an introvert depending on situation, supportive friend, creative and caring.  I have just realized I need to be thankful more often, it was a feel-good moment to make that list.  I know I have missed so many important items but a thankful list is a work in progress.  I encourage you to take a moment to make your own list of what you are thankful for.     

I have to speak to the fact the people that feel they don't have enough money and continually focus on it, will never have enough.  They have never identified how much money would be enough and there for they remain unhappy with what they have.   Although, I have bragged about how strong my finances are, I pay very little attention to my money.  I have never ever in my entire life recorded what I have spent.  You know those little books the Credit Union gave you to write in, well they always went in the garbage without one thing in them.  I also believe money makes money.  Look at the people on Shark Tank, along with hard work, they just know how to make money.  Finally, I believe if you handle cash, you will have more cash come your way.  We have become such a debit card world.  People use their cards to buy a coffee.  Kids are going to really struggle with handling money because they only know things are paid for with a card.  In time, not in my time hopefully, I sense there will be no money just cards.   

Define enough.  For me enough is a few things to wear in my closet, a couple of pairs of comfortable shoes, more jewelry than most people have, a home that is paid for and a vehicle that runs like it is brand new.  I buy food only when I need it. I purchase fresh vegetables, meat and fruit.  I have a small selection of cans to support a meal but not many.  I am constantly playing "not buying any food until that freezer is empty" or "using up my baking supplies before I buy more".  For some reason a near empty fridge and pantry is enough.

Every woman should have a black dress and a good bra.  I have a short sleeved black dress and a long sleeve black dress because I like both of them.  I don't like shopping for clothes because I don't like trying them on.  So I don't, I take them home to see if they fit. I use the take back rule my bestie taught me and I love it.  The older I get the more I like to wear basically the same thing, over and over again. I simply have no place that requires getting dressed up, so that part of my wardrobe is not necessary. You have to have a funeral outfit and maybe one more and that should be enough for dress up purposes.   

It really doesn't matter how famous, rich or important you are, you just need a quote to hang on to and believe in.  My 2023 quotes are going to be.....



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

80 Hours

  It happened in just 6 short weeks; it was time to get the oil changed in my vehicle again. I had driven 8,000 kms and I figured it out that would average about 80 driving hours in just 6 short weeks. I did have a long road trip in June but most of the kms were travel within Manitoba and Saskatchewan.  I have a rule about my vehicle, it is meant to be driven. I am very attentive to getting maintenance done. I was told when I bought my vehicle I am required to have the oil changed every 8,000 kms to stay on some sort of warranty plan. Clearly, all I remember about that conversation was, "have your oil changed every 8,000 kms" and the rest was "blah, blah, blah". When it comes to my vehicle I am a check list person. Regular oil change and the other maintenance my service department suggests are usually made to keep it in the best working order. Regular tire changes in the spring and fall. Pretty basic stuff.  I just recently had my vehicle estimated for hail damage.

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic