Skip to main content

button box

I recently had the most amazing conversation with a total stranger and I decided I wanted to share it with you.   

I was in a photography shop looking at one of their beautiful photos on the wall.  I said to one of the employees "everyone needs one of these".  It was a huge picture of a baby and a beautiful keepsake of a special moment in time.  The woman that works there said "it is very important to have those memories where you can look at them".  I replied with my usual conversation about Mom losing her pictures in a fire, and how those types of losses are hard.     

I am not sure how a picture, keepsakes and my mom's fire lead to this conversation but it did. The woman went on to share a family story about her Grandma having a brain bleed and her death was imminent because of it. Her Mom and her Mom's two siblings went into Grandma's home and did what you have to do and cleared it out. The first thing the woman asked of her mom was "you didn't throw the button box away?"  Her Mom had no recall of the button box and assumed it went in the garbage.  The woman went on to reflect of her love for the large cylinder filled with not only buttons, but scissors, some coins, all kinds of treasures.  She said she felt almost a sense of grief in the loss of the button box.  She had shared her feelings with a friend and they said "why don't you start your own button box".  Not being a sewer she thought it would be an unusual collection of items, but she did.  Her fellow worker said that when they visit, her kids love to check out her button box.  For many people a conversation like that would never have happened because they wouldn't understand what a heritage button box truly means. 

The ending of her Grandma's story was that she actually got a bit better and her death wasn't as imminent as they felt.  Since she was on the Palliative ward and not dying, the social worker told her she would be moved to another place.  She asked "where would you like to go?"  Grandma said "well I have always wanted to go to Panama".  Sadly, Grandma's health didn't allow her to get to go to Panama.

The conversation about the button box, stirred up so many memories of my Grandma.  My Grandma was a seamstress, and of course in the olden days nothing was thrown away without the buttons being removed.  I remember playing "buttons" with my cousins. We would sort through the box and make little groups of the same buttons, always excited to see if Grandma had added anything new since we last played.  We spent hours with that silly box, and I have such wonderful childhood memories mostly about the feel of the buttons. 


Although I have great memories of my Grandma's button box, I never thought of what happened to it.  I don't have the same sadness that the lady in the Photo shop did when her Grandma's button box was gone. My memories are different and whenever I put different buttons and colors on some of my projects, I smile thinking "Grandma Dempsey would never have done that". 

  

I enjoy buttons and presently have them sorted by colors in different see through containers. I like to swirl my finger through them and get the perfect one.  I buy buttons at the dollar stores for many of the outfits that I have knit.  As I said, I go rogue and sew on all different ones or different colors.  I love the wild and reckless feeling it gives me when nothing matches. It simply can't get any more exciting than that. 

These are fidget sleeves for people
with Dementia or Alzheimer's. 

For those of you that have the same memories of buttons as I do, I hope you enjoyed this walk down memory lane.  If you are wondering what the hype is, I totally understand.  Simple childhood memories are the best and I hope you have one that you can relate to others, even total strangers.  

Comments

  1. I most definitely have a button box, which stems back to Grandma’s button box. I still hear the sound of the buttons rubbing together as you search for that specific one or as they’re dumped out on the floor for sorting. 💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye, I am sad to tell you I had some of Grandma Dixon’s buttons mixed in with Grandma Rae’s and some of moms
    I can’t say for sure, but you would likely find them now at the Teen Challenge store I am guessing since we moved. I feel bad about that but what is one to do with all the stuff. I never thought of you or you would have gotten them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther