Skip to main content

Thoughts

It is a fact that we have 50,000 thoughts go through our heads each and every day. Now if you have a mind like mine, we probably pass 50,000 by noon. I found this an incredible piece of information, one that has very little use. 

I have never thought about this before, but it only makes sense. A male is a Peacock, a female is a Peahen. Even though I have this new knowledge, I am pretty sure I will continue to call both male and female birds, Peacocks. 

The average single senior income is $31,400/year. That works out to about $2616/month. A Supplement is offered for those that have an income less than $29,000. Supplements are also tax free. Those that paid in, will receive Canada Pension Plan and Pensions from other sources. Even with all of these sources of income, many seniors are nowhere near $2616. Some seniors have prepared for retirement by investing, some have not. I never realized what a huge transition it would be to start to use investments. To turn the process of investing to using, seemed foreign. I have spoken to many retired people about their thoughts on using investments. We all seem to be the same, we have it in our heads that there may not be enough money to live the life that we want. Others worry about the cost of care when it is needed. All are probably unnecessary thoughts, but they are part of the 50,000. 

I have never thought of, "it's benign" being the most important words we can hear. I have been told, when a person receives the words, "you have Cancer", they hear very little after that. My thoughts are that it doesn't matter how prepared you think you are to hear bad news, you aren't. Everyone will have their own thoughts on this topic, and I will leave you with them. 

My friend dropped off some roses from her garden. My mom was visiting at the time, and every morning we would take some time to discuss how pretty the roses were as the buds burst open. I was reminded of my friend's love of gardening and growing her own flowers. I thought, the simple act of my friend sharing her roses, and enjoying their beauty with Mom made it so much more meaningful.   

My Mom is a baker. Over the last few years, she has done less of it but let me tell you her muscle memory is still there when it comes to dough. Mom was recruited for the "Bake to School" bake sale. She and May were going to make butter tarts and biscuits. The 80 years of age difference disappeared as they managed the dough. Mom shared her tips and May gobbled them up. At one point May and I said, "it feels different". Yep, same ingredients, same recipe but the dough felt different than when we made pastry and biscuit dough. And it tasted different. Mom's signature biscuits will always be with raisins. The butter tarts and biscuit basket were a hit at the bake sale. My thoughts were precious over this experience. The joy of making, buying and eating homemade baking is a bit indescribable. 

It is impossible to sort through 50,000 thoughts per day. I have been asked, "where did you come up with that idea?". My answer is always, "my head". People are unique in what they have in their head. In retirement I like the easy thoughts, or should I say fun thoughts. My Dad would always say, "it takes all kinds". That is the only reason that the world can function. People's thoughts vary and am I ever glad they do. You do not want my thoughts about money or politics running anything. 

In closing, I hope this post has made you reflect on what your 50,000 thoughts are each day. I was just thinking how special it is to be part of your world today as you read this blog and think of what your thought power is. We are all superheroes in our thoughts, it is just amazing what we know. 




Comments

  1. Good morning Faye! Your mom is amazing! I’m sure that little girl enjoyed every moment with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to be part of the day,May is such a sweetie and a pleasure to work with ,the organizer is also great to work with !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther