Skip to main content

Strong is Beautiful

                                                  
Amazing Race Canada is over for another season. The winners were two female wrestlers, Katie and Taylor. They won in their own hometown of Edmonton, Alberta. They were the second all female team that have won Amazing Race. Their manta and message to young girls was, "Strong is Beautiful". They wanted to prove to girls, especially girls in male dominated sports that the sky is the limit, anything is possible. 

I had a revelation in Penticton at the festival. I realized that we have no measure of our strength until we compete. Competing doesn't always mean winning, it means pushing yourself past limits you never thought you could. The wrestlers were an example of pushing themselves to go from nearly being eliminated to winning the show.
I love the following descriptors of woman that are emotionally and physically strong. I feel today's young women have more of these characteristics as opposed to the way it used to be. 

Strong women:
1. Are courageous, they are not afraid, they face challenges and stand up for themselves.
2. Don't depend on others. They take on the responsibility for their own emotional and physical well-being.
3. Knows who she is, they love themselves no matter what.
4. Builds others up. They show unconditional love and support to others.
5. They are not afraid to show their emotions and never consider them as a weakness. 
6. Follow their own intuition and don't overthink everything. 
7. Are truly happy and know what makes them happy. Happiness comes from positive mental strength.
8. Owns her successes and believes in herself.
9. Doesn't let the opinions of others influence her; she has ability to bounce back.
10. Don't feel bad about breaking social rules or reinventing herself. Rules don't apply to strong women. 
11. A strong and beautiful woman will continually work at being a better, stronger strong women. Progress not perfectionist. They know they have to face their fears and step up to the plate. 
                                      
Every woman is strong, women endure in so many ways. I believe the most powerful demonstration of a woman's strength is having a baby. Followed by months of no sleep, sick baby and the list goes on. I have heard women say they changed how they feel about themselves after giving birth, they realized how powerful and strong they truly are.  

I have come to a new understanding; you are only as strong as you push yourself to be. I am not good at pushing myself. When I got back from Penticton, I decided I needed to put more effort into the gym. I decided I was changing my mind thought of, "I just want to be strong" to, "I am going to be as strong as I can be". Lifting now has a new meaning.  

I really love the saying, "Strong is Beautiful". As women age, and retirement arrives, being strong is paramount. Being strong emotionally is something I think comes more naturally as we age. We start to believe in who we are and what we want. Being physically strong, is another story. I certainly noticed when I retired how sedentary I became. That is not the case now, but at the time I could see my strength just leaving my body. I decided I needed to turn that around. 

After reading this post, I hope you have taken on a new belief for yourself, strong is beautiful. Being strong mentally, physically and emotionally is a lot of work, but work well worth it. As women we need to be strong and stay strong, remember the sky is the limit, anything is possible!!!







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther