Skip to main content

The storm

Some of my readers have told me that when they read some posts, they feel like we are having a conversation. I think this post will be one of those conversations. One in which I am doing all of the talking and you are the person that listens. 

I recently told someone, "I can be the calm in the storm, or I can be the storm". I never do things unless they are in a big way, and when I am a storm, I am a weather warning on your phone. My preference is to be the calm, but I don't always get what I want. 

It is evident that I am a little stormy when I am in a new situation. Being a member of Waves of Hope, Dragon Boat team has been a continuous exposure to new situations. Several of us carpool from Brandon to Minnedosa for paddling. There are 5 sets of duffle bags, paddles and life jackets in the back of a vehicle. We take everything, much of which we don't use. I usually follow what other people are doing, but one practice I went rogue. I couldn't for the life of me, decide what I needed for warm up. Which meant I had several useless things such as runners that we only use for dry land which we weren't doing. I could barely carry the things I didn't need. I made 3 trips back to the vehicle and it looked like a war zone by the time I got done throwing things out of my duffle bag and not putting them back. The icing on the cake was when one of the girls said to me, "did you know you have lost an earring?". I had gone with pretty earrings that match the uniform, as opposed to wearing practical ones. Things were not falling into place at all, and now I was down one of my favorite earrings. My focus shifted from practicing a proper stroke in the boat, to trying to figure out where I would find my earring.  

The weather was also a little stormy and we ended up coming in early from paddling. One of the members said to me, "we will find that earring. We will retrace your steps and find it", and we did. She was the calm in my earring storm. Lo and behold it was right in the spot where the member pointed out I was missing one. If I had looked down to the ground, in that very spot, I would have found it.   

In reflection of that night, I decided that was enough of that and I was going to be more organized the next week. The very next Wednesday, I couldn't find my glasses strap. Your glasses have to be secure, or you can't get in the boat. Everything I have in my duffle bag is once again all over the back of the vehicle and no strap. The calm and organized person I promised I would be, is making a frenzied mess. Gratefully, one member had several straps, and I got one from her and I was good to go. The vehicle once again looks like a war zone, but I am set to paddle.

We are now into the third week of this misery. Imagine my surprise when I found my original strap in my runner. Clearly, I thought that would be a safe place to put it and believe me it was. But the new pink strap is now missing. What on earth is going on? It was evident every practice was going to be stormy for me unless I nipped it in the butt. As a rule, I am usually extremely calm, I have no clue who I have become. These are not huge things, but it gets into my head and evidently it can create a storm within me.   

It just never ends. I thought if I took the time to organize my pink duffle bag, I would be calmer. Lo and behold I found the pink strap, I now have 2 straps, which clearly, I need. I also found a pink jacket that was size Medium. Clearly, it was not mine. I had probably scooped up everything in the back of the vehicle at one point and that included someone else's pink jacket. I am not sure what is going to be the end of my new behavior, except that the season is nearly done.   

I realize this is not a big thing in the scheme of life. I know I was frustrated with myself, and I assumed to others. We have all been with people who are always a "storm". They can't get out the door on time, they change their mind, they create chaos wherever they go. I have to support them in some ways, because I knew I was in chaos I just didn't know how to stop it. There needs to be a reset button to use, to stop the swirl of the storm. I think clearly and stay calm in serious situations, but apparently staying organized for paddling is too much for me. 

I am assuming all the babble has made you think, "am I the calm or the storm?". What makes you become a storm and what keeps you calm? I think for 90% of the time I am the calm, but when I am the 10% storm, look out world. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther