Skip to main content

How to be Happy


As I was doing my early morning roaming around on my computer, I found an article titled, "how to be happy". As everyone is aware, I gobble up articles that have lists. The article got me thinking, then I started to write and here is what I came up with.  

1. Count your blessings. Many people have a practice of starting or ending each day with a grateful list. Simple things that we take for granted are exactly what we need to be grateful for. They would include waking up in a good mood, hot shower or enjoying the sound of the birds chirping. The day I started to write this, I was grateful for the rain and the small thunderstorm that was happening. I am grateful that I made homemade bread yesterday, so I could have toast with rhubarb jam. I keep my grateful list very simple. 

2. Cultivate empathy and compassion. Step into someone else's shoes. I had some trouble understanding how this makes a person happy. I have come to the conclusion that by simply extending ourselves to others, we gain a sense of happiness.   

3. Practice forgiveness. Remind yourself that forgiveness doesn't justify actions of those that hurt us, but letting go of the hurt. As we age it is even more important to let go of past hurts and feelings. Those feelings take up way too much space in our head and heart. 

4. Create meaningful relationships. Choose your friends wisely. Focus on positive relationships and let go of negative ones. I think this is way easier to write or to say than to actually do it. Negative people are exhausting. What I don't like is when I am with negative people, I can take on their negativity. Being with positive people keeps me more positive and happier. 

5. Volunteer. By volunteering it gives you a sense of purpose. It broadens your social life and gives you an opportunity to meet like-minded people. Volunteering has changed my life. I am challenged to create an activity every week, and often it means a trip to my favorite $ stores or my happy place. I feel so rewarded and needed when I volunteer.    

6. Never stop learning. Take a class, read a book, or learn a new skill. Being bored has a negative effect on us. My Mom is a perfect example of someone that is always learning. She has a jigsaw puzzle on the go all of time. She changes it up with word search and cards with her lady friends and ends every day by reading a book. 

7. Eat healthy. It not only has a positive effect on our physical well-being but our mental well-being as well. Right now, with all of the fresh vegetables, eating puts us in a perpetual state of happiness. 

8. Get enough sleep. Adults need between 7-9 hours/night of sleep. It helps with mood swings, anxiety and depression. Sleep can be the biggest factor regarding being happy and in a good mood for the day.  

9. Meditate. It is known to decrease stress and increase self-awareness and improve emotional well-being. Meditation comes to us in various ways. Those that walk are meditating. Driving alone is another time of reflection and meditation. Meditation time will often create solutions, ideas and peace for a problem. 

10. Practice mindfulness. Being aware of the present. Have you ever just sat and thought about how good you feel after a shower or bath? I love that moment. Being mindful takes a conscience effort, but certainly worth it. 

11. Laugh. If I have been with someone that makes me laugh, I come away almost euphoric. A girlfriend giggle fest is the best thing ever. Children laugh all day; they are so happy. We need more laughter in our lives, there is never enough. 

12. Spend time in nature. It gives you a general sense of meaning to life. When I see an eagle fly over, or a young fawn with spots I get a sense of peace and happiness. I just automatically smile when I see a monarch butterfly or dragonfly. As everyone knows, I am in a state of happy when I am around water.  

13. Be around animals. I think dogs are the happiest animals and when they are around, they make me feel happy. A pet will give unconditional love, and you are never alone if you have a pet. 

14. Set goals. By setting goals it motivates us and makes us feel more optimistic. Having direction and objectives can bring us happiness. I know I am not alone when I say there is nothing like crossing things off the "to do" list for the day. Happiness is having something to look forward to. Creating a bucket list and making it happen is such a rewarding feeling of happiness. 

There are people that are always happy. They know nothing other than seeing the best in everything. Then there are others that have trouble getting into a room, with the dark cloud they insist on pulling everywhere they go. I do believe being happy is a choice. If I were to add something to this list it would be, do fun things. Fun things make me happy. I also have a sense of joy if I am going to do something I have never done before. I am happy when I help others with things they couldn't do for themselves. I am happy when I am needed. I think you get the idea, and I hope you can reflect on what makes you happy. Some days being happy takes an incredible amount of work. Other days it comes with no effort. So just for today, make it a happy one. 

Comments

  1. Such a good list, Faye! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Faye! I really do try to be upbeat,I am great full for all the good things in my life! We all have down times but can always see the good most days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Being happy takes a lot less energy than being negative. Such a good list to follow. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther