Skip to main content

Mantras

A mantra is: a statement, word or slogan that is repeated frequently. A personal mantra is a phrase or affirmation that you say to yourself to motivate or encourage yourself. 

I just read an article about the mantras that famous people use. None were born wealthy, they created their own wealth and success, through hard work and dedication, and perhaps a mantra repeating in their head. 

 Oprah leads the list. She uses the mantra that she got from Maya Angelo, "When you know better you do better". Anyone that knows anything about Oprah knows she lives a life of doing better. 

Mark Cuban is a member of the TV show, "Shark Tank", owner of the Dallas Mavericks and is a well-known investor. The mantra that he uses came from his dad, it is, "there are no shortcuts". His Dad always told him, "Do the work, out-work, out-think and out-sell your expectations because there are no shortcuts". 

J.K Rawlings is the author of the Harry Potter books. She was once a single mom on welfare writing in a coffee shop about her famous wizard. She faced many rejections but is now one of the wealthiest women in the world. Her mantra is, "Embrace Failure".

Suze Orman at one time was living in her car and is now known as a very wealthy and famous financial advisor. She stated that with success comes unhelpful criticism, ignore it. A teacher from India told her, "The elephant keeps walking as the dogs keep barking". 

Rick Goings is involved in Tupperware Brands. His mantra is, "Be nice to everyone". He explains that you never know who is watching and listening. By being nice you create a positive energy. 

Richard Branson, a famous billionaire's mantra is, "Never look back in regret, move onto the next thing". He credits his mother for this mantra, she always encouraged him to move on to the next project. He never looks at anything as a bad experience but as a learning curve. 

I used to rely on mantras all the time. I would plant one firmly in my head when I knew it was going to be a difficult day. I would encourage my patients to put a simple one line or one word idea in their head to repeat when they needed it. They would often settle on, "You can do this" or "Everything will be okay". I liked the mantra that my friend used when she was having a difficult biopsy, "You can do anything for 10 minutes" and then once that is over, say it again for another 10 minutes. 

I would say that my most used mantra is: "Everything happens for a reason". I know many of you use this as well. Sometimes the answer is very clear, other times it requires a struggle to figure it out, and very often there is no answer.  

                                         

The last thing I would ever do is to aspire to be rich and famous. But it is meaningful to me when I read articles such as famous people's mantras. At times someone is handed success, such as a well-established family business, but often success is earned. I have always felt that success is about taking an opportunity at the right time. Being in the right place at the right time, along with the right mindset is what I believe is the key. Success is never easy; it comes with sacrifice, failure and perseverance. The bottom line for me is, "Never give up, watch, listen and learn". You may need some patience and time but keep working at it. Although this blog has reference to successful famous rich people, success isn't always measured in wealth. Being successful is to have achieved a desired vision or a goal. Some people are very wealthy because of it, others feel a simple sense of accomplishment. Just remember everyone is successful in something, you may not think it is a big deal, but it sure is.


Comments

  1. Lovely message this morning, Faye. The most useful mantra I often use on the hard days came from you, many years ago - Get up, Dress up, Show up. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, that mantra certainly served it's time with me for many years. It was a lifesaver for sure.

      Delete
  2. Really like this Blog Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young my sister G. would always say to me “ there’s no such thing as can’t”. Boy have I used that phrase throughout my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther