Skip to main content

Do as much as you can in your lifetime

It saddens me to hear people say, "we used to do that before Covid, but we don't anymore". I recently heard a former colleague say, "We haven't traveled by plane since Covid". This was a family that went on an elaborate family trip every year. One thing that seems to be what I consistently hear people comment on is, they don't have people over like they used to. I hate to even put the word Covid in my posts, but it seems to have a place in this one to help explain my point. Life changed because of Covid, and we need to change it back. 

I heard the statement, "do as much as you can in a lifetime". My family's ages stretch from 8-90. Things at 8 are certainly different than at 90. I just look at the opportunity's children have today. They are extremely comfortable on a plane. They attend concerts, and sporting events right along with adults. The choices children have for activities are unreal. So different than baseball or hockey in my kid's day. On the far end of my family ages is being 90. A regular routine of cards, and coffee. There seem to be many birthday celebrations to attend when you are 90. They understand the concept just like children, birthdays are to be celebrated. In between those ages there is an assortment of people working, traveling, trying to make time for themselves and a variety of other things. Dealing with life as it presents.  

                                                       

I know several people with a huge resume of activities they have accomplished. When I hear of new and exciting things that people are doing, I am in awe. I have always been what I call someone with my ear to the ground. I have to say that some of the things people find to do are genius. I quickly decide if that is anything I would ever do, or never do.

I can ponder things, to the point where I never get them done. They are usually things that take considerable work or organizing for myself. I can slap together a social event in a few hours, but that is for other people, so it happens quickly. I am not as efficient when it comes to myself. I watch people plan trips and every detail is taken care of. I can do that; I choose not to. I like knowing I have a hotel room, and flights, but that is pretty much it. I hit the high spots of what the place has to offer and the rest falls into place once I get there. My sister and I went on a couple of wonderful trips and divided the trip and organized everything for our share. Our east coast trip consisted of each taking two provinces. I had Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, she had PEI and New Brunswick. We were responsible for the hotel, sightseeing activities, and where we would eat. It was a planes, trains, automobiles, buses and boats kind of trip to remember.  

                                                 

I am not sure if you are like me and are starting to realize it is "crunch time". It is the time we do the things we were always going to do and haven't. It is not about the years we have left in our life but the life we have left in our years. To be blessed with the ability to do those things we want to do. At this point in my life, am I doing as much as I can? Probably not. Am I doing some really rewarding things, for sure I am. I like to think of it as filling up my cup. Are you one of those people that is filling your cup up or could it be topped up?   


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther