Skip to main content

Wear what you Want

One day at the gym, I was part of a conversation about age-appropriate clothes and wearing what you want. One lady said she bought some shorts. She went on to say that she wasn't sure at her age if she should wear them. It is a 55+ group of people and everyone agreed that if your clothes were comfortable, and you liked them, wear what you want. 

I love all of the glitz and glam that is trending right now. As I watch the performers on my reality shows, I am in awe of how beautiful and comfortable they are with their look. When I see an oversized woman wearing exactly what some super model would wear, I admire her confidence. The black women pull it off the best. They embrace their look, and they are just stunning. As an oversize woman, I can't imagine wearing something that clings to my body like that. I realize that underneath my clothing everyone is aware there are rolls, I just like to think a little slack in clothing keeps it my secret.   

The new look is for pants to be going higher and tops plunging. Am I ever relieved that the low-cut pants are now replaced with high cut. Gone are butt cracks, tops of thong underwear and other things we shouldn't see. Cleavage is alive and well. For me buying a shirt is followed by the question, "do I have a cami that will match?". I'm not comfortable with my cleavage showing, but that is just me. Wear what you want, and if you are comfortable with low cut tops, do it.

A rule I like to follow is that you can wear anything if it is not too tight or too baggy. In other words, as long as it fits nicely. I like to dress trendy, and I love it when I see an older person looking snazzy. We all can name people that always look nice. I think they must get out of bed looking like that. They choose their clothes well and wear them just as good. I think it is what a woman does to finish the look that makes the difference. Some people wear make-up and jewelry every day while others just pull it out on special occasions. Make-up and jewelry aren't for everyone. My rule is to wear lipstick and earrings every day. That is how I want to look, and I feel finished when I do that.

We have so many things to think about in life, clothing shouldn't be one of them.  You should feel good about yourself every day. Dress to please yourself and when you look in the mirror, believe this is how you want to look and feel for that day. Some days I just rock my housecoat whereas other days it is a bit dressier. I think everyone should enjoy dressing as they want and letting their personality be the star of the show. Being beautiful on the inside is all that truly matters. 
                                











Comments

  1. Good advice! I am not a fancy dresser,but try to wear clothes I am comfortable in! Cleanliness is # one! Certainly admire people who look nice in everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther