Skip to main content

Personality Types


I was recently part of a conversation about personality types. It was clear to me that I only knew traits about Type A personality and that information was very limited. As I searched to find out more, I became quite intrigued. I was able to place people I knew in every type, and I learned more about my own personality. I felt that making a post about the 4 personality types may be just as fascinating and informative for others as it was for me.  

I think the personality type that gets the most attention is Type A. The Type A people already know their Type and they are fine with it. Even though it is probably the most criticized personality type, they continue to be a proud Type A. A Type A personality is described as a high achiever, competitive and often impatient. They seem to have a sense of urgency about them and are prone to stress. They can manipulate their environment to direct the outcome. Type As want control and will take over a situation. 

Type B personality is described as having a more relaxed, easy-going and flexible personality. They are sociable, creative, thoughtful and optimistic. This may lead to a lack of drive and ambition. They are known to be sensitive to criticism. 

Type C is new to personality types. They are described as quiet, focused, introverted and thoughtful. They tend to be reserved and prefer solitude. They have strong concentration and are meticulous, paying attention to detail and strive for perfection. Type C is described with words that start with "C": consistent, controlled, calm, cooperative, creative and conflict resistant. They are attuned to the needs of others. They can lean towards a negative outlook which can lead to a sense of hopelessness. 

Type D is also new to personality types. Type D also known as a distressed personality is characterized by negative affectivity and social inhibition. They seem to always worry, are sad and irritable. They have a pessimistic outlook and appear gloomy. They lack self-confidence and will avoid social situations. Making personal connections is a struggle for them and as a result they feel lonely and anxious.

I found the following information was the most fascinating part for me. In the 1950s personality types emerged. The concept of personality types was used to identify patients at greater risk for health conditions. 

Type A: People with this personality type suffer from cardiac issues due to chronic stress and high levels of cortisol. Because of their competitive nature and constant drive, they often suffer from high blood pressure. The stress they put themselves under may contribute to a higher stroke risk. Their high stress level can impact their digestion, exacerbating conditions like irritable bowel. 

Type B: This personality type is described as more laid-back, relaxed and less competitive and it plays out in a positive way in their health. Overall, they have better health with an improved immune system. Type Bs cope better with life and have lower risk of cardiovascular issues because of it. They will find creative ways to deal with health issues and are known to explore holistic. 

Type C: This personality type is known for their conscientiousness. They will have a longer life because they focus on exercise, eating well and avoiding risky behaviors. 

Type D: This type of personality is prone to anxiety and worry. Because of that they suffer more from mental health disorders such as depression. 

When I was writing this post, I felt very confident that I am a Type B personality. No one falls perfectly into a personality type, and I know I have some Type A and C traits thrown in there. I feel my personality has changed over time. I assume you as well, are trying to figure out your personality type. Unless you are Type A, you already know your type. We need to have the Type A personalities to make sure things get done. Type B will let them do it, Type C will do their own thing and Type D will just worry about it. Like my dad would say, "it takes all kinds". 


 



















Comments

  1. As a Dr asked me once how I felt in the morning, I told her that it depended who woke up! So I am multiple! lol. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Faye! I enjoyed this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther