Skip to main content

"You're not a victim to your body anymore"

I was inspired as I listened to a man share his story since he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. When he got his diagnosis, 10 years ago, he began aggressive long distant biking. In the ten years since his diagnosis, he has managed to control many of the debilitating symptoms. So much so, that a medical team has asked to do further testing to see if this is something that will help people with Parkinson's. They want to know if aggressive exercise will have a different effect on the disease process. During the interview it was evident by some of his movements that the man had Parkinson's, but considering having it for 10 years, it was amazing how good he was. At the end of his interview he said, "I want to inspire others, you are not a victim to your body anymore". 

I think of people with neurological diseases such as MS or Parkinson and wonder how they cope. These are long term diseases that slowly take function away from you. The speed at which this happens is individual. There are people with MS that you would never know they had it, and then there are others that it is very evident. Parkinson's is more obvious because of the visible shaking. 

MS is a disabling disease of the brain and spinal cord. The immune system attacks the protective sheath that covers nerve fibers and creates communication problems between the brain and the rest of the body.

Parkinson disease is a progressive neurological disorder that affects movement as well as mental and emotional changes. Cause unknown. The nerve cells in your brain become damaged or begin to die. 

I don't want you to think you have just fallen into a google search you didn't want to be in. I guess my point here is I am rarely ever sick, so I am sure I would feel like a victim if I had something wrong with me. I can't imagine what it must feel like to live every day with pain and exhaustion. It is foreign for me to even think about my body not responding the way it is wired to do. Sadly, I have just described the way many are forced to live every day. 

Autoimmune disease happens when your immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissues. The list of autoimmune diseases is growing at an incomprehensible rate. For me, the most common ones are lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and Type 1 diabetes. Some articles list MS and Fibromyalgia as autoimmune while others don't. I feel cancer fits in this category as it rapidly creates abnormal cells that grow beyond their boundaries. In other words, I think of it as your body turns on itself.  

I am curious why people have their immune systems turn on them, while others don't. Is it possible to turn that around?  Why do some people never get sick, while others are plagued with it. I think for me, building my immune system started when I was a few months old and I was given the BCG vaccine against TB. The BCG has been credited with being the best respiratory vaccine ever. They have never developed a booster, and I was told by a pharmacist that means it is still working. During my working days, Dr. P made his mission in life for the staff at the health center to get the flu shot. I think having the flu shot for probably 35 years has helped my immune system. Also, I had constant exposure to sickness, and I feel that contributed to the building of my strong immune system. I have just described some people that did the same thing as I did, yet they live with a compromised immune system.   

I know no one likes to be sick. Many cope well with it, whereas I don't. I admire how people cope with sickness, it would certainly take some work for me to accept not being able to do what I want to do because of a disease. 

I was so inspired by this man's quote. I thought how empowering for those with Parkinson's to see him and maybe have some hope. This man was basically saying what I believe, take your health into your own hands. You can be handed prescriptions and treatments by professionals, but at the end of the day it is your body. For me, I think I would feel like a victim if I had a diagnosis of a debilitating disease. I know I would be on an insane quest to find something to change that. For those that are afflicted with a disease, or your immune system has turned on you, I truly have no understanding of how that must feel. In my mind, you are a very strong person. At some point you accepted this is the way your life is going to be, and you are living the best you can. That is powerful! 

  

Comments

  1. The line that really caught me was "at the end of the day its your body." I can't explain why it impacted me but it did. Self care and making good choices seems like such a lifelong challenge. I enjoyed your exploration here Faye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther