Skip to main content

Read the Room


There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements. 

We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.   

It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that are quiet is, "tell me about". Everyone has a story to tell, I want to make sure they have a chance to do that.   

I could never testify in a court of law because I am not a detail person. I skip all the details, telling and listening, I focus on the meat of the story. Sharing detail has to fit the room. Some people love it, and you know it when they say, "tell me everything don't miss a thing". I am finding that I don't have the ability to re-tell other people's stories like I used to. When I hear a story, I am so amazed I can't wait to share. When the time comes for me to re-tell their story, I can't remember exactly what they said. Dad used to say, "I can't repeat stories anymore, because I won't get them right". That is me!!!! Let's be honest, this is a retirement blog, so if you can't remember the 3 things on your grocery list, remembering the details of someone else's story, or even your own story, is probably not going to happen. 

When I run a meeting, I use this technique to read the room, by having everyone introduce themselves by answering one of my questions. I have found over time I have to be specific about what the question will be. Depending on the room, I use the following: "on a scale of 1-10, how is your day so far", "tell me something you do when you aren't working" or my most recent one, "what do you like to do in retirement". I have found that having questions that are totally irrelevant to the meeting will give me a good read of the room. Throughout the meeting, I continue to read the room. It is key for me to know when I am losing people and why. Meetings can be productive if they are organized and controlled. If I use the scale of 1-10 as an introductory question, I re-ask that question at the end. The results will give me a good read of the room for the next time.     

I believe the best guest speakers are those that read the room long before they even start to prepare for their presentation. We have all heard the statement, "you could hear a pin drop". That is what you want your room to be like when you are a guest speaker. I don't have the world's best attention span and so keeping my attention can be difficult. But it does happen. How to make it happen is for the speaker to be dynamic and tell me stories. The goal for being a guest speaker is for the audience to learn something and be inspired. Mixing facts with stories is a win/win in my world. 

I think it was around the time I was in Grade 7. Many, many decades ago to say the least. School never came easily to me, and taking a subject like Social Studies was not anything I could retain. History simply didn't interest me nor my brain. Then along came Mr. S. He stood at the front of the room, had his facts written on the board, and it began, he told stories. Stories so we could remember the facts. I learned so much from that man. He read the room and captivated all of us by his story telling. We actually learned something, even the daydreamers like me. I remember thinking, "when I am a teacher, I will teach just like Mr. S". 

That day came and when I worked with students, I would consistently say, "I can tell you a story about that". Let's face it, I had been on the streets of nursing for a very long time, and I had become street smart. I read the room, and I knew that one story could change the whole learning experience.   

In closing, think about this: are you the type of person that reads the room before the people arrive in your room? Do you read a room the minute you arrive in a room? I have been in so many situations where I don't know another person in the room, reading the room is survival for me. I always appreciate those people that are also reading the room and make sure I am comfortable in that room. I may not remember your name, but I will remember your story and I will always remember how I felt in your room.










Comments

  1. This is brilliant!!! Thank-you for taking the time to organize your thoughts and share them succinctly! I was and am also a day dreamer. I wholeheartedly agree that stories connect us to each other and history. Historical fiction is how I obtain history and from people willing to share.
    I shy away from story telling in front of a large crowd, unless I’ve prepared my thoughts in advance. But in a small circle or one on one with others who have the ability to listen and engage, I will be filled to the brim with stories. Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther