Skip to main content

Packing


What kind of packer are you? Do you feel you are a good packer, an over packer or just a poor packer in general. How long does it take you to get packed and ready to go? Do you always have snacks and water ready to go out the door when you do?  

When I pack for a trip, I pack. Many people say, "I have my clothes laid out". Not me, my clothes are locked and loaded. I have become a carry-on person when traveling and I know how to roll things tight to get lots in the bag. Now, unpacking, I could shove the suitcase into the bedroom and leave it there forever. I literally force myself to empty it in the first hour I am home, or it may never get my attention for days.
I was on a flight once where we diverted to Sudbury, Ontario instead of landing in Toronto. The woman behind me asked the attendant for food for her daughter. The little one was maybe 4, her mom hadn't packed a thing for her to eat, drink, or keep her entertained for what was supposed to be a 2-hour flight. We were now into the flight for 4 hours, and I have to say the little girl was very good, but she was becoming hangry. It made me appreciate the parents that come on a flight with their back packs stuffed with items to keep their kids watered, fed and entertained for the trip. 

When I fly, I take time to make sure I am going to be nurtured during the flight. It means food, a journal, a book to read, and lots of coins for vending machines. I will save a book that I know will be a good book to read when flying. It has to be the type of book that I can give away when I'm done reading. I am always impressed with how I pack going. Now coming home is a different story. Unless I am staying with family, I usually buy a book in the airport bookstore and hit the vending machine for food. 

A former colleague's daughter had a chronic condition that meant emergency treatment at any time of the day or night. That emergency treatment was 3-5 hours away. She said it took her 12 minutes to get packed and ready to go. 

When I worked with students, our clinical days were usually 12 hours. By the time the post conference came we were all starving. We, as in me, the students, were prepared. They would pull out their massive back packs and start to unload the food they had packed. It was good food, not anything I would have packed if it were me at that age, or at my current age, apparently. Every weekend I would cook and pack containers to make sure I was ready for the work week ahead. My lunch bag was complete with containers of microwave food, I just never got the hang of organizing post conference food.  

A few years back, dozens of vehicles were stranded for 2 days on #1 highway between Brandon and Virden. I doubt that anyone would ever have enough food or water to live in their vehicle for 2 days, unless you had just bought groceries. Who thinks when you strike out, even in poor weather, should I pack food and water just in case I get stranded on the highway in a blizzard for two days. 

In retirement, I have decided when I travel, I will pack a food bag with water and other snacks. I have become the muffin queen and have introduced myself to those individual cheese snacks and tiny oranges. Throw in some licorice and it will last me for a very long time. I always have muffins in my freezer. I even have a basket in my cupboard marked, "snacks". I am noticing families have entire cupboards devoted to snack food. They have half of Costco in there. Believe me it will serve your children well, when they have to pack food for university or travel.

Over the years I have watched how people prepare to stay with a family member in hospital. Some literally move in, and they look very comfortable. Others not so much. There is nothing more uncomfortable than spending an overnight in a hospital room without your things. What I have seen people arrive with are: their own blanket and possibly pillow, sleepwear, book, some have journals, slippers and of course there is food everywhere. Having water is key, if you are staying with someone there are usually lots of tears, so hydration is important.  

I spent a night in ICU when Mom was a patient there. This is how it went; I spent the night in the dress I arrived in, on a rock-hard cot, under one hospital blanket with the air conditioner blowing very cold air on me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated having the opportunity to be there, but the cold air was brutal. I was down at the coffee bar in the middle of the night, cold, hungry and exhausted. It wasn't even worth it to risk my life and go get clothes from the car. I had packed wrong and brought clothes for the 30-degree heat, not the frigid room. I spent over 24 hours in that dress, it went from dress to nightwear and back to a dress. The lesson here is: if you are staying in a hospital, think it through, go to your car or the store and get what you need to build a nest.  

I have a bag that is half packed, and ready for an overnight stay, two at the most. What stays in it all the time are: a jewelry bag, a journal, light housecoat, night wear, socks and underwear. It has a make-up bag with it's own supply of makeup, toothbrush, toothpaste, Tylenol, gel, shampoo, conditioner, etc. I use very little makeup so having a second supply isn't a big deal. I throw in one outfit, and I am packed. I doubt it takes 12 minutes with this system.   

I can't even imagine what you are thinking about this post. Are you thinking, do I have a ready to go overnight bag? Do I have food and bottles of water just ready for a trip? Or are you thinking that was an incredibly long post about packing! In closing I hope you enjoy the quote that pretty much sums up gender packing. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther