Skip to main content

Jeffery


Some time ago now, Jeffery called. I had ordered parts by email, from the company that Jeffery works as a sales rep. I don't recall putting my phone number down, but I must have. We talked for 15 minutes, mainly about his travel memories and life in general. 

When Jeffery was a boy, he lived in Shilo, Manitoba. He laughed about getting his first frostbite in Manitoba. He had a strong memory of how cold the winters are in the prairies. He was calling me from Montreal, and I told him I had been there twice and how surprised I was at how much I loved that city. I explained that there was some language barrier but not as bad as when I was in Quebec City. Jeffery prefers Quebec City over Montreal. It was comforting to know that someone that lives in Quebec has no ability to speak French just like myself.  

When Jeffery was a child, he and his brother rode all across Canada with their dad. I told him I was jealous of him traveling across Canada because it had always been a dream of mine. He laughed as he shared the story of his dad helping someone that had broken down on the highway, and the man offered him money. Their Dad didn't take it and the kids couldn't believe what they were witnessing. I immediately shared my story of recently helping three young girls stranded on the highway. 

He did touch on the reason for the call and reminded me he had sent a video to replace the part and he was sure I could do the repair myself. I guess he thought he should get back to work and we ended the conversation. I simply said, "it's been great talking to you" and he said, "likewise". 

I am not one of those people that strikes up a conversation with just anyone. I am direct when it comes to doing business on the phone. So, why Jeffery? It was clear that Jeffery enjoyed talking to people. He wanted to find out something about everyone he spoke to. He brightened my day and made me feel good about myself. I hope I had the same effect on him.

I am sure that not everyone will chat with Jeffery, but they should. That conversation reminded me of how important it is to take the time to invest in someone else. Since Covid I do make a point of asking each store clerk, server or random person how they are doing. Many lift their heads from what they are doing, often a computer, and actually reply. It does seem that I hear, "have a good day" from employees that run a till, such as at a drive through or a grocery store. I know they are told to say it, but some people really need to hear that nugget of encouragement. 

I had a dear friend that called a wrong number and ended up reaching someone that lived in the states. My friend talked to everyone that crossed her path and that included a wrong number. Of course, she struck up a conversation with the wrong number person, just like Jeffery and they became fast friends. They at some point met. My friend is gone now, but I can still see her with her huge diamonds and elegant look, talking to everyone and anyone. She would start every conversation with, "tell me about.....". She would ask to be the greeter at church so she could interact with everyone that went to church. I am pretty sure Alice would be sad about the state of the world right now. She would never have survived the isolation of Covid and the disconnect that has resulted. 

Talking on the phone is fast becoming something we don't do. Often a phone call is made while driving or on the speaker phone while working on something else in the kitchen. When I phone someone, I pour coffee and pretend we are having coffee together. Texting is a quick and easy way of communicating. You get the answers you want in a short amount of time. The world needs more people like Jeffery and Alice to remind us that we need to make someone's day. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther