Skip to main content

80 Hours

 It happened in just 6 short weeks; it was time to get the oil changed in my vehicle again. I had driven 8,000 kms and I figured it out that would average about 80 driving hours in just 6 short weeks. I did have a long road trip in June but most of the kms were travel within Manitoba and Saskatchewan. 

I have a rule about my vehicle, it is meant to be driven. I am very attentive to getting maintenance done. I was told when I bought my vehicle I am required to have the oil changed every 8,000 kms to stay on some sort of warranty plan. Clearly, all I remember about that conversation was, "have your oil changed every 8,000 kms" and the rest was "blah, blah, blah". When it comes to my vehicle I am a check list person. Regular oil change and the other maintenance my service department suggests are usually made to keep it in the best working order. Regular tire changes in the spring and fall. Pretty basic stuff. 

I just recently had my vehicle estimated for hail damage. I struggle with these types of appointments, but it was actually painless. I made the appointment online and gave all of my information over the phone. At 8:30 on said day, I arrive at the drive through at MPI. I am always relieved to see a drive through and I don't have to back up other than to get out of my parking spot. My adjustor comes out, introduces himself and begins to take a vast number of pictures inside and outside the vehicle. They have chairs by the wall, for the vehicle owners to sit on, somewhat like a "time out" chair, I assume to be out of the way of the adjustor. I got off my chair once and quickly realized I shouldn't have. The look of relief in my adjustor's eyes when I promised him, I would go right back to the chair and stay there until he was done, was evidence I should have stayed quietly on the chair. I sat on my hands and followed him going round and round my vehicle without saying a word. The results were in, and even though I was only in the hailstorm for about 2 minutes the damage totaled $2600. I have 2 years to get the repairs done. Well, this year's weather has been unpredictable to say the least, so I am waiting it out before I get it fixed. Another appointment I will put off and struggle to make.

The people watching was so much fun at the MPI. There was an older man ahead of me in a shiny white truck. He was first in line at the door when it opened. A man that worked there, told him he was really early, his appointment wasn't until 9:45. He had been there since 8:00. He tried to convince the man that he was told his appointment was at 8:00, the guy wasn't having it and replied by saying that the doors don't even open until 8:30. The white truck guy was just going to wait it out, hoping to get in before his allotted time. What could he possibly have to do that he needed to get done earlier than his appointed time? Then there was the guy in the shiny black sports car.  Clearly, this car was more important to him than life itself. I couldn't see a mark but there was obviously an issue because this guy was overcome with concern. I witnessed him rubbing his car with encouragement as the adjustor was making his assessment. The sports car guy was struggling to follow the sit on the chair rule. His damage was minimal and he seemed relieved as he drove away. 

From my time out chair it became evident to me, I was in survival mode. I had showed up with my vehicle as it was when I parked it in the garage the night before when I got home from Saskatchewan. I had thought of washing my vehicle, but I didn't, the areas with hail damage were cleanish. It was evident by the grill that I had done my very best to decrease the grasshopper population in Saskatchewan. I am sure the guy with the shiny black car thought I should be charged with vehicle abuse. My adjustor seemed to be managing very nicely to do his job, and when I apologized for it not being cleaned, from my chair, he said it was fine. Nice guy! 

Lastly, the woman with the family car pulls in. She took the prize for the most hail damage. The hood of her car looked like she had parked her car in the field at batting practice. She was relieved she had 2 years to make repairs. I hope the poor dear gets it done before that, it looked really bad. 

This is me from time to time.

I have to say that when you spend 80 hours in 6 weeks in your car, it gives you a chance to do lots of reflection. I come up with the greatest ideas and plans when I drive. The trouble with that is that you're driving you're not writing them down. So, what may seem like a brilliant idea may not happen until it pops into your head again. Some people I understand listen to audio books. I think that is a great utilization of your time, but I have never done that and pretty sure I won't ever. I love to look at license plates to see where people are from. I crop watch and I've been able to watch the progress in Manitoba on my frequent trips to Saskatchewan. As the summer went on, it has became evident that there is a severe drought going on. The poor pastures aren't even growing a green weed. 

I just met a couple that had driven from Toronto to Manitoba. He is 84 and she is 85. They make the drive every summer. They used to make it in two days but they have now extended it to 5 days to drive from downtown Toronto to southern Manitoba. That is just amazing to have the confidence at that age to drive that distance.

I take it for granted that I can just jump in your vehicle and go wherever I want whenever I want. I am grateful to have a vehicle that I can rely on and I possess the confidence to just take off. I have to remind myself, not everyone has that same privilege. Owning a vehicle and driving wherever you want is something that not everyone can do. It is the simple things in life, like being able to drive that we just take for granted. I have come to look at the time I spent driving a vehicle as time well spent. If I don't have a positive outlook on a trip it makes the miles so much longer and who needs that. Driving is my version of exploring the world, what is your way of exploring the world? 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther