Skip to main content

Being Efficient


I am going to start this post with a google search of the word "efficiency". Basically, to be efficient you can achieve a goal with little to no waste, effort or energy. Resources are used in the best way possible; this includes money, manpower and equipment.  

For some reason, over the last few years, I have found areas in the service world rather frustrating.  At times it appears that no one cares if you are standing in line or need help. I think we have all had experiences where we have left phone messages, and no one calls us back. Some places are good, but often no call back. My most frustration has been with Service Canada. I need to straighten out an issue and when I call, I have been told by their automated phone service the next available person will take one hour. It doesn't matter what time of day, waiting an hour is the length of time. There is no call back option so consequently, the issue still remain.

When I recently experienced, not one, not two, but three very efficient experiences, my faith was restored, and I thought I need to share. These are all locally owned businesses and clearly, they want people to be satisfied. Being satisfied means people talk and there is more business coming their way.  

I realized I promised that I would never speak of my kitchen reno's again, but this post is linked, so I am forced into it. It was time to get a countertop, so I checked out a business that was recommended to me by two people. They have a kitchen designer with a real smooth style. Before I left their store, I had a quote in my hand which included every single item I would need to have a countertop installed. I also had samples in my hot little hand, one that she thought would work and a second what I thought I would want. Well, I am so glad I didn't go with what I thought I wanted, the designer was the person that could see the vision. Deposit down and counter is on order. 

Next step was measurements, that is done by the person cutting the countertop. When he arrives he states he would also be doing the installation. In conversation he shared that he and his brother started the business 18 years ago. What surprised me the most was that this person was not sitting in a office he was doing hands-on work for the company. Doing what he does best, countertop installation. I have always felt if you are at the top of any business, you should be able to do every job that is under you, and I felt this guy could.  

The day has arrived for installation. Arrangements were made for the plumber to arrive at 8:30, and at 8:35 he was in my house taking out the old sink. At 8:40 the guys arrive with a trailer full of everything needed to install the countertop. They set up a a workshop outside like they were building a house. To be honest they had a piece of old counter out before I knew they were even here. By 10:15 the counter was installed, the plumber notified he could come back and replace the sink. You would never even know they were here; the driveway was even swept and my old counter, sink and faucet were gone as part of the deal. 

I was so impressed, I told them, "I have never experienced such efficiency in my life". I meant it, to me that is how you run a business. 

Efficiency experience #2. I live in a condo development and therefore lawn care is provided. Over the last few years, watching the lawn maintenance has been a frustrating and disappointing experience. This year a new company has rolled in. I looked out the first day and there were so many young people with push mowers I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They worked nonstop for eight hours straight on that day. Within a week, a weed company arrived and did they have their work cut out for them to take care of the sea of yellow flowers. Because the day was conducive to spray, they got a 75% kill. On one of the cut days it was extremely hot so the mowers didn't arrive until 3 pm. Apparently, they were short staffed, so the owner and his wife were running push mowers. This company had a contract, and they were fulfilling it.  The new landscaping company owner is on site everyday that his staff are here. He is meeting the people of the community and is very open to any concerns. Just the efficiency I like to see. Can I say again, that is how you run a business.

Efficiency experience #3. I had hoped with the help of a friend to install the backsplash in my kitchen. Well, in true Faye fashion, I picked material that required someone with lots of experience installing tile. I came by the name of a carpenter by reference from an old client. I sent the carpenter a text one day, he replied the same day, came the next day to measure and sent a quote the next. All was rolling along with great efficiency until the order had to be made for supplies and a two-week wait for the tile. No fault of the carpenter, he was on top of it. Using my new line, that's how you run a business.  

My deal is: if these people can do their job with such efficiency, why can't everyone? I am not unreasonable, but I had given up on thinking that I would ever be part of something that was efficient again. These companies have set the bar high for my expectations of efficiency.  

It would just make me so happy if people used the word "efficient" when referring to the way I ran my business. I felt that being in business meant you treated people the way you wanted to be treated during a business transaction. That included attention to time, cleanliness and putting the focus on the client's needs. Those are standards that aren't that hard to provide, and it makes the customer very happen. Isn't that the way you should run a business.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Pink is just another Color

Just  over a week ago, Waves of Hope hosted an awareness day. We called it "A Day of Hope and Education". It was decided in October that Waves of Hope would get behind a researcher at Brandon University. Dr. Majumder is working on early detection of breast cancer, through a simple blood test. She is also researching to predict treatment outcomes for triple negative breast cancer. TNBC is extremely aggressive and has few treatment options. Her work is to lower the resistance of the cells and make them more responsive to treatment. She is also working on developing treatment options that are not so toxic, but still just as effective when treating breast cancer.  Her dream is to find a cure for cancer.  Little did we know in October what April was going to bring.  It has been an absolute honor to spend time with Dr. Majumder and her husband who I call her wingman. Sujit is her lab manager and so much more. They are two of the most caring and wonderful people I know. The...

June 1

Today is "Cancer Survivor Day" in Canada. If you are a cancer survivor, make sure you do something to celebrate "you" and "your survival".  When I started my career nearly 50 years ago, the cancer rate was 1 in 33 people. Today in Canada, approximately 2 in 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. About 1 in 4 will die from it. The number of new cancer cases and deaths continues to increase due to the aging and growing population.  There are signs of improvement in survival rates for many cancers especially blood cancers.  Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, prostate and colorectal. Nova Scotia has a higher mortality rate for all types of cancer. Ontario has the highest number of new cancer cases. BC and Alberta have the lowest rates of cancer deaths.  When I joined the Waves of Hope Dragon Boat team I was introduced to not only a new activity, but dozens of breast cancer survivors. These women are so inspirational. I had ...

Cancerversary

A C ancerversary is a definition that was created by Bestie which means a celebration to honor breast cancer survivorship.  It all began two years ago when I suggested that we should celebrate with a trip for what was going to be her 10-year mark of survivorship. She could pick whatever she wanted to do, and I would do it. We attempted to make plans, some as simple as a weekend in Winnipeg and some more elaborate like a cruise down the St. Lawerence. For one reason or another, we couldn't make anything happen. Life stepped in our way and said, "you aren't going anywhere", and we didn't for two years. Then out of the blue  I got a text from Bestie that said, "do you want to go on a Rhine River Cruise?". This was it; she had picked how we would celebrate and I was in. Yep, we planned what would be the biggest trip of our lives in a few minutes by text. That was nearly a year ago. There is considerable planning that goes into a trip like this. Our roles wer...