Skip to main content

Having a Purpose in Life

                                      

As you all have probably figured out, I am rather taken with being retired. Recently, I had a conversation about retirement with my friend, she is over 65 and still works full-time. She said that she doesn't plan to retire yet, because she doesn't have a purpose outside of work. I agree that doing puzzles, knitting and baking may not be classed as a purpose, but it is three more things than she enjoys.  

I understand that it is hard to develop a passion when for so much of your life you have gotten up each day to go to work. One of my struggles when I retired was to figure out what it was going to be like, not to work. For me I worked for 45 years, for some it is less and for others it is longer. Being a working woman does mean your days are full and brimming over. Developing passions is a luxury. As soon as your day job is over, you are out the door to the second part of your life, running with your kids, making supper or whatever is ahead for you that day. The responsibilities appear to be shared by both parents but sometimes two people simply isn't enough. 
                                        
I could never have imagined having the time I now have to just sit and write. I hope everyone agrees with me, that time does fly when using social media. I get lost in writing; it frees my mind of my thoughts. I google like I am going to university, and I have to say it is a quick answer to any question. Writing has become a passion and a purpose to put everything in order, it stops the spin cycle of thoughts going around in my head. 
I am not sure if this is just how I think, or if most people feel a purpose is to help others. Everyone has their own way of helping, unique to that person. Men are big financial supporters. Basically they like to make things better by buying something or by signing a cheque. It is not that they can't or don't help in other ways, but they are the money people. Women will give financially, but they are more inclined to help out in other ways. Fund raising events are usually organized by women. The men work at them and donate, but the ideas and details are usually managed by the women. 

I often reflect on the many fundraising events I once helped with. I don't think we thought at the time it was a purpose to help others. We just did it, we were responsible for keeping the doors open at the rink, hall, church and school. It was always easier to make money if you put on an event. The event would start with a theme and the venue was decorated to reflect that theme. Entertainment was booked, a nice meal was planned and there was always an opportunity for someone to win something. The local auctioneer is always there, and the fun begins to outbid your neighbor. When everyone was having a good time, the money just seemed to flow. This has not changed in that community, except the events are grander and for more reasons. Community members in their time of need are financially helped by one of these events. It is not uncommon for tens of thousands of dollars to be raised in one night.  Absolutely unbelievable and I am so very proud of that community and their purpose to help others.  

I know as you read this post some of you will have no trouble identifying you life purpose while others may struggle. We never know when it will be our turn to need others. One thing we do know is, people will show up for us, in more ways than we ever knew were possible. I have always believed you must give to receive. That little saying has proven itself repeatedly in my life. A simple concept of humanity, give when life is good, receive when it isn't. 
                                                         

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther