Skip to main content

Sundays





 I am not sure how everyone feels about Sundays, but it is my favorite day of the week. I just love the start of a new week and it has always been exciting for me.  It is doubtful that anyone other than myself gets pumped when January 1, lands on a Sunday.  New day, week, month and year all rolled up into one day, simply the best way to start a year.  January 1, 2023 is on a Sunday and I already feel it is going to be a wonderful year for me. 

At one time Sunday was the day that I got organized for the week ahead.  It was the day to make sure everything was ready for school, clothes clean and fridge full.  I was crazy organized then as it was needed, or so I thought.  To my knowledge, I rarely forgot anything, contrary to what may happen now.  

I do feel that you need to start the week strong, Sunday can make or break the rest of the week.  If I am in a list making mood, Sunday is the day I will make a list of "to do" for the week.  It is a nice day to think about making changes. Let's keep it real, how many have decided to start a diet on Monday and plans were made on Sunday.  For some it is the day where we say "I am going to do......" this week

                                      

Going to Church is a big part of Sunday activities for many.  Brandon is becoming very multicultural and there are so many new churches in the city.  These new places of worship, enjoy a service and come together after with the sharing of food and fellowship.  They have a huge sense of community, lots of laughter and little ones running around enjoying being with their friends.  

I have a vague memory of going to Sunday School at the Bethal Church.  It was a little country church, just a few miles down the road from where we lived on the farm.  We would get all dressed up in our fancy dresses and hats to attend.  Sadly, we didn't go there long before it closed and then was only used for an end of school picnic in June.  Going to town church was never part of our family practice.  Church does provide a sense of community, many groups and friendships are developed as people come together in worship.  I believe you need to have a sense of connection to a church of your choice, and I have never found that as an adult.  I have nothing but admiration for people that know their religious path. I am very spiritual and for now I am content with my spirituality being my religious path.  

Sunday was historically a day of rest.  It seems that families are on the move on Sundays, out the door to hockey or other activities.  They get groceries and fill the home with food as work and school starts the next day.  I do think retired people like myself have the opportunity to enjoy Sunday as a day of rest.  In fact many days are like a Sunday rest day. 

Making a good breakfast on Sunday is the perfect way to start the week strong.  I love making and eating breakfast food.  I think either breakfast or brunch on Sunday is a gesture of love for those that eat it.  I have so many recipes for breakfast food and I decided to share some of my favorite ones in the event you may need something new.  We all have the Wife saver and the hash brown potato recipe to fall back on because they are so darn good.  My preference has always been the recipes that are made the night before and just shoved into the oven on Christmas morning.      

Upside Down French Toast  (Donna Laurent)

Melt in 9X13 pan: 1/2c butter and 1 cup of brown sugar.

Cut crust off of texas toast bread.  Put 2 layers over butter and sugar mixture.

Mix: 1 1/2c of milk, 5 eggs, 1 tsp salt and pour over bread.  Let stand over night.  

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until edges are crispy.  

Turn out and serve with syrup.  

Upside down French toast and baked eggs


Baked Eggs (Aunt Joan)

Spray muffin tins with Pam

Lay a single piece of thin sandwich ham into cup. 

Break egg into ham slice and cover with veggie of your choice.  I use mushrooms, green onions and peppers.  Top with shredded cheese. 

Bake at 350 for 20 mins. 


Breakfast Pizza (Faye)

I put this together one morning and it quickly became one of my favorite breakfast foods. 

You can make your own crust or I buy the garlic fingers pizza crust.  Put a very thin layer of salsa or pizza sauce on the crust.  Cover with a layer of cheese of your choice,  swiss is really nice but so is a cheese slice.  Cover the cheese with a layer of ham or bacon or both.  Pan fry until soft: vegetables of your choice such as mushrooms, green onions, peppers, grate one potato into vegetables and cook until soft. Finish by scrambling 2 eggs into vegetables, leave on heat until you can see eggs are cooked. Put the vegetable mixture on top of the meat.  Cover with  cheese of your choice, mozzarella and cheddar are nice.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Serve with fruit and juice and it will give you a great start to your week. 


Apple Pancake

Melt 1 tbsp of butter in Pyrex dish

Mix: 6 eggs, 1 c milk and 2/3 c flour and pour into dish

Add 3 c chopped apples.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 420 for 20-25 mins.

Serve with pancake syrup.  I cut the recipe in half and bake in a pie plate.

  

Cornflake Cookies (Aunt Joan)

Bring to a boil: 1/2 c white sugar, 1 c corn syrup and 1 tsp vanilla.

Add 1 c peanut butter until smooth.

Add 4-5 c of corn flakes.

Place on wax paper to set.  You can not eat just one.


In closing, I hope everyone has a great Sunday.  Next Sunday is Christmas and the following Sunday is the start of a New Year.  Make sure you start your week strong, do whatever you need to do to have a great week ahead. 


Comments

  1. Thanks Faye…Sunday is a special day. I’m not big on breakfast (any day) but love to start my Sunday with a church service. Sometimes I spend the day curled up with a book or watching a movie, or even a nice walk down by the river.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther