Skip to main content

One year in







November 19, 2021 was my official retirement date.  It was the day I kept my promise to myself not to work after I turned 65. It is hard to believe it is a year since that monumental day.  I had mixed emotions at the time since all I had known my adult life was to get up and work. Enjoy the days off I had and get back at it. Now, I was able to have nothing but long coffees in the morning, do things when I wanted to not when they needed to be done. The world was open for me. That sounds just perfect doesn't it. Well, the magic just didn't arrive as I assume it was going to. For my entire life I have struggled with boredom, and I think initially that was my biggest challenge. I remember thinking "seriously this is it". I thought there was a sensation that came with retirement, and I was afraid I was missing how it feels to be retired.

In November, I turned 65 and retired, of course Christmas and its activities followed very quickly after that.  As everyone is aware Mom's home fire was January 11.  Being retired during that time was an absolute blessing as I had endless time to help Mom rebuild her home and her life.  I didn't have to reschedule a thing which gave me a great sense of relief and a true understanding of being on my own time.  

As the months moved on, I was a bit confused about what I should do as a retired person and what I wanted to do.  Retired people often travel, volunteer, golf, join a group and the list goes on.  I did none of those things.  I made a weak attempt to volunteer but that is a long story of no reply from anyone.  I didn't take it as rejection, I took it as not the right thing for me at the time.  

                                                      

I have always felt that retirement for me would be a time to give back.   I keep my ear to the ground for the needs of the community.  I prefer to donate either my time or required items as opposed to money.  I am truly grateful to Facebook for parents that share tickets sales and fund-raising projects that are going on in my old community.  Etransfer simply makes donations way to easy. I appreciate the work involved to keep a small community going and the least I can do is buy a ticket or support other causes.  One of these days I may win something, but the fact remains, I'm not going to win a thing, unless I keep buying tickets.  

I don't think it matters how old we are, we look to someone older for wisdom.  I recently heard a (young) Doctor say, "the older people 65 and up". As an "older person" I fit nicely into the wisdom sharing age. I find it amazing the wisdom within a person, and we should feel empowered to share it.  I used to say to students "you aren't going to find this on google nor a book, it is a street-smart fact". 

I believe as humans we over think everything.  We expect major life changing events like retirement to just move smoothly into our lives and viola we adapt.  Well, that didn't happen for me, but it is.  The feeling of being retired crept in slowly. The expectation of knowing what to do in retirement went away and calmness occurred.  I have given up on "planning" like I felt I needed to do initially.  I watch for opportunities to present, and I move on them spontaneously.  I was not meant to travel the world, golf a good game or play senior curling.  I don't want a scheduled volunteer position; I just want to pick and choose what I volunteer for.  Right now, there are many advertisements about Christmas.  The Salvation army plays a big role to make sure Christmas happens for everyone.  Other remarkable projects are "Coats for kids" and "Christmas Cheer".  Some people have incredible talent, and they share it.  I recently saw a woman that makes mitts from old leather and fur coats to give to the Bear Clan for the homeless.  All of those things inspire me, and I try to envision what it must feel like to be that kind of person to take that kind of talent and help others.  If I loved sewing and was really good at it, I would be one of those people that take used wedding dresses and make them into gowns for babies that never had a chance to live in this world.  I can knit which many people can't say.  I will use that ability to make toques and mitts for those in need, blankets for babies in intensive care and use up my supply of wool.  

It is closing in on my last few days of being 65.  I have to admit I want to remain at this age.  It is really simple, there isn't another milestone birthday like it until you get to 100.  When I say "I am 65" it rolls off of the tongue and seems to be relevant.  I can see that not happening anymore, no other age is going to have that impact.  The year ahead looks promising.  I will continue to do the things I do and in reflection I have done some pretty amazing things in my retirement year.  I simply don't get things done at the speed I used to.  But I don't care it will happen at some point.  I am not going to put pressure on myself for the next 34 years until I get to be 100.  Nope, simply not doing it.  


When I turn 66 I can:


Make more cute little puzzles
Have High Tea with my friends



Make more newborns caps


Knit more gifts

                                                                         

                                                                                              

Visit the mountains at Comox 
Visit the mountains at Okotoks

    



Bake more of course

Comments

  1. Retirement takes you through a whole new phase of life. It’s the best reward after spending years & years in the work world. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the most giving and talented baker I know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther