Skip to main content

Done, done and done

 It is official, I am a senior.  I am about to devote an entire blog to the weather.  I feel I need an opportunity to say I am done with Colorado Lows, I am done with bad roads, and I am done with having to plan every move around the weather.  Last I checked it was only early November, and I am simply annoyed and frustrated already.   

It started in late summer when people would say "they say it is going to be a long cold winter".  Who is they and how do they know. I shouldn't be complaining about the weather again, because I have already had a go at it in my Mother Nature post, but the bad weather has forced me into more writing.  My annual preparation for winter, which by the way started a month ago, is to get my winter tires put on, which I did just the other day. Yep, I literally slid my way to the dealership with my summer tires, because we had an overnight wet snow/ice storm. Can I just say I love my winter tires and is certainly money well spent. In the city it means if you pull up to a stop sign you actually stop. 

I realize that since my stay in Swift Current that I have accumulated several Facebook sites which let me know about the weather conditions from Winnipeg to all across Saskatchewan.  Right now, the feeds are covered with pictures of icy roads.  It is followed by the writer explaining how many extra hours it took them to get home and how many semis and other vehicles were in the ditch during that trip.  What part of that says it was safe to be on the road?  Clearly, roads have to be closed in order for people not to be on them.  From what I witnessed in October that only works for some, others will only find a road that goes around the closed area.  

I have noticed an extreme amount of criticism about the poor maintenance to the roads during a storm.  Comments indicate that the Department of highways need to be plowing and putting sand on the roads quicker than they are.  This would mean that people could continue with their regular traveling activities in a safer manner during a storm, I assume.  It does seem that you don't see plows and ice trucks out like you used to.  Number 1 highway to me should be tended to, simply because people won't stay off of it.  I know after my Swift Current visit, I came away wishing they would have closed the highways, did a good job of cleared them then let traffic back on.  

I always believed that to enjoy winter you had to have a winter sport or an activity that makes you look forward to winter.  I don't have summer sports or activities the chances of having a winter one is highly unlikely.  I do have lots of memories driving the kids to their winter activities.  An event in a rink was definitely a case of "must be" on the roads.  There were many times we should have stayed home but never did.  The memory of my most terrifying driving experience for hockey was a trip to Arcola. I was driving with another mom and three boys in the back.  We took off for Arcola in not bad weather, but it soon was storming so bad we totally missed the town, we couldn't see the lights nor the town sign.  Somehow, we made it to the rink and the local men were sitting there drinking coffee and said "oh, you came, didn't know if you would with the storm?".  How do you even begin to answer that.  Proceeded with the game and back out on the road.  I was responsible to stay on the right side of the yellow line and the two feet I could see in front of my vehicle; the other mom took care of telling me if I got to close to the white line.  In the history of Saskatchewan Minor Hockey, I am pretty sure they never ever cancelled a game and I guess because it all ended well, why would they.        

That was long before we had phones that told us what the weather was like, road updates and everything you needed to travel safely or stay put.  So why is it that during bad weather Facebook is covered with pictures of semi's sideways on the highway or in the ditch.  The many vehicle pile ups are another common picture to share.  Of course, once one vehicle goes into the ditch there is a scattering of other vehicles that go with them.  I do understand for truckers that you have to drive to survive.  Literally, survive in some cases.  I feel for the rescue units that have to deal with people that drive in poor conditions, which puts their lives and others including the rescue workers at risk.   

I learned my lesson in October not to try and outrun a storm.  It will get you anyway.  Really, I don't need to be out in a storm especially on icy roads.  Does anyone? Anything, I need to do, or attend can be done in the next 3 months.  I feel I am a cautious driver, but I lack the trust in other drivers as they swoop by me, in some kind of crazy rush.  I used to tuck myself behind a semi if road conditions were bad.  I just don't feel comfortable doing that anymore.  The makeup of a truck driver has changed, and I am sad to say I don't rely on them the same as I used to.  

So, in my retirement I have become so much wiser. I have decided I will make a long list of things to do this winter.  I will enjoy the fact I don't have to be out in the bad weather.  I will engage in conversation about the weather to other seniors and watch as the thermometer drops or rises.  One thing I know for sure, it will be windy, that we can count on to complain about.  It is interesting to watch how much the wind can drop the temperature indicated by the WC factor.  Oh, my goodness, "they" are half right it is going to be a long winter, hopefully not a cold one.  Stay safe everyone and stay home if it is bad weather or roads.   



My winter projects: knitting, puzzles and reading

Comments

  1. I was just thinking to myself as I drove home from my volunteer job….that it’s too cold too soon, as I counted on my fingers, how many months of this! Yuk…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the Room

There are three settings in which reading the room is required: social gatherings, business meetings and public speaking engagements.  We have all been in a room listening to the same person talk, often about themselves, oblivious to the fact that they are dominating the conversation. We have also been in conversations about a topic that only the person speaking understands what they are talking about. When a conversation is started and it doesn't include everyone, or everyone is not contributing it is time to read the room.    It seems to happen naturally when genders separate and have their own conversations. Historically, it was men in the living room, women in the kitchen. I have found that I love the conversations that result when both genders are sitting together just talking. I know the way I think will be challenged more, and the topics are more diverse. Being included or including everyone in a conversation is not as easy as it sounds. The line I like to use for those that

Redheads

One evening, while doing my channel surfing, I landed on Shark Tank. There were two young entrepreneurs requesting money for their business. They were sisters, with beautiful red hair and pale skin.  They had developed a product line for just redheads and were of course requesting financial support.  I had never given it any thought that the colors of make-up products didn't work for redheads. The sisters were also promoted the uniqueness of being a redhead through their podcasts and other social media sites. It was one of their comments that has sparked this post. Apparently, it is estimated that only 2% of the world's population has naturally red hair. As you would assume, one google search led to another and there are some really fascinating facts about having red hair that I wanted to share.   1. Globally about 140 million people have naturally red hair.  2. Redheads produce Vitamin D more efficiently in less sunlight, making their bones stronger.  3. Red hair is a genetic

Mentally Tough

When I was writing the "Unstoppable" blog, I got caught up on what it means to be tough; as a woman. In that blog I said I was life tough, I now realize that is better described as mentally tough or mentally strong. If you describe yourself as a tough woman in any sort, from any experience, be proud of it. Becoming mentally strong takes some time, and sadly is often caused by life experiences. But, once you are there, you handle situations in a similar manner every time. Mentally strong women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Their personality doesn't have to be aggressive, just a strong female in her own right.    In  Jordin Tootoo's book he wrote that his brother was mentally tough. His brother would often say that it is all about mind over matter. Since our minds are one of the most powerful things we own, we must really use it to make sense of our lives.  I have heard this said before and I believe it, "we all fight a fight no one knows about". Ther